Not for sale: 2002 Golf ALH TDI 5-speed Original Owner 242K mi Boston

iceman

TDI
2002 Golf
Well maintained '02 Golf TDI 5-speed, 4 door. Original owner, purchased July 2002 in CA. Stock except for Malone Stage 1 tune. California car for first 8 years of its life. Timing belt replaced at 80K and 180K by TDI guru, regular oil changes at 10K intervals. New clutch 2 years ago (220K), suspension components were replaced as needed (all coil springs, lca/sway bar bushings, tie rod ends), new battery, lifters replaced at 177K as preventative maintenance. New VNT actuator/N75 at 205K. Intake manifold cleaned at 210K. New rear pads/rotors at 234K.

Known issues: door lock sensors not working on drivers side doors, occasional chatter/shaking from clutch when engaging first gear - clutch functions well overall with no slipping, intermittent fuel quantity adjuster fault (flashing coil light) that has not affected drivability at all. Minor cosmetic issues - rust chips on hood, small amount of rust on lower fenders/rockers, but no major rust problems, some scratches in the paint. Center armrest lid hinge is broken and there is a hole in the plastic beneath where the wipers sit.

Local buyers only please so you can see it and drive it before making a commitment. Thanks!

I decided to keep the car - not sure how to delete this thread...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice car, and nearby. I should grab this for my son, but all he's owned is silver MKIV Golf TDIs. He may be ready for a change.

iceman

TDI
2002 Golf
Nice car, and nearby. I should grab this for my son, but all he's owned is silver MKIV Golf TDIs. He may be ready for a change.
Thanks - I guess I'm also ready for a change after driving the same car for almost 20 years. 😁 Hopefully I won't regret selling it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You will. I was at my mechanic's not too long ago and a customer who has sold his MKIV for a '13 Passat said "everyone who has sold an ALH TDI has regretted it." I think that may be true. I've been driving mine for 19 years and live in fear of something happening to it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
As much as i wish you won't regret it, i feel the same as IBW. You probably will after having it for that long. I had my green TDI for 4 years and i miss it.
Best wishes in selling!

iceman

TDI
2002 Golf
As much as i wish you won't regret it, i feel the same as IBW. You probably will after having it for that long. I had my green TDI for 4 years and i miss it.
Best wishes in selling!
You guys aren't making it easy for me! I'm definitely having second thoughts...the wife or the car...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
You guys aren't making it easy for me! I'm definitely having second thoughts...the wife or the car...
Oh, definitely the wife then!

On another hand couldn't she love the car as well? Have it wrapped in her her favorite color!😁
She gets to see a vehicle in the driveway thats her favorite color, and you get to keep driving it. Win/win

iceman

TDI
2002 Golf
Oh, definitely the wife then!

On another hand couldn't she love the car as well? Have it wrapped in her her favorite color!😁
She gets to see a vehicle in the driveway thats her favorite color, and you get to keep driving it. Win/win
Haha - she's fine with the color, but not with the number of cars in the driveway :rolleyes:

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
iceman, thank you for your PM. Unfortunately I will need to pass. My son is a new driver and looking for a car of his own. He loves my 2015 tdi and wants a manual diesel we can work on together. I thought an ALH would be fun but my wife says as a new driver he needs to be in something bigger and heavier.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought an ALH would be fun but my wife says as a new driver he needs to be in something bigger and heavier.
This is an unfortunate misconception about vehicle size and safety. I'm not proud to say that between them my kids have totaled 3 VWs, all without injuries. And one was a '92 Jetta, hardly state of the art for safety. VWs are vey safe vehicles.

I'm not suggesting you counter your wife's wishes, nothing good will come of that. But these vehicles, despite their age and small size, handle accidents well.