Got her running

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Picked up an auto from NC last weekend. Nice body and int, but not running. Owner wrecked the engine somehow and acquired a replacement and paid to have it put in. It never started and was put up for sale, mechanic said the supplied engine was junk. It came with a new set of timing components. the install was boodged. A 'mark' about an inch of circumference away from the real one was used to set the pump, and all this whilst the cam was in split overlap for No.1 cylinder. None of this was exactly obvious until I started putting in the timing blocks. Then I found the right TDC mark, and then moved the cam...and then moved the pump. She lit right off. its O1m behaved itself and took me up the road and back.

Now to gather the bits for a manual swap. And install some manual injectors. VR6/G60 kit awaits( and its flywheel has a mark). As does an EGR and shift cable set. have to decide about the nearly new OEM axles, or to install some new GKN inners on an otherwise fine set of manual axles I have laying about.
cheers,
Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nice!!! And congrats……

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thanks are in order all around. In particular to JD who got me in touch with a gent who loaned me timing tools. And in general to the rest of youse who have showed me how to deal wid these wee beasties.

Now for some new rear beam bushings. Maybe after the manual is wrung out.
cheers,
Douglas

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Thats great man! Putting another one back on the road instead of scrapping/parting it. I've always wanted to learn how to do a timing belt. Just seems like a scary job, especially with very little room.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
First one is a little scary , i won’t lie about it , I double checked everything I did….probably took me twice as long as it should…..but the joy when I cranked it and it firing off was priceless. Since then I’ve done eight of them…..a couple for friends the rest for family.😊

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
This was the perfect intro. Troubleshooting and discovering the problem, and then not having to take it all apart to replace the belt. Now I think I would be quite OK doing a full one. There is some PITA factor, as there is a severe lack of space for some of the tasks, but it is a lot less scary now than it was before. As cssteve said, check, check again, and again and move to the next step. The process is well documented and the path is clear.

The joy of this particular one firing was indeed quite satisfying. Been glowing since it happened. So to say, walking around feeling 10 feet tall and covered with hair... LOL

I discovered some wacky stuff moving the pump; there are two sets of slots of different bolt circles. I thought they were the same and had to futz with it repeatedly once I discovered. Also, the pump pin is only at '1 O'clock' with respect to a global vertical. It is right on center with the pump. It is just that the pump is tilted... :)
cheers,
Douglas