Feedback on my new GTD1752VRK on 2003 ALH

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
First post in looooong time..... I can now finally provide feedback on my new GTD1752VRK installed on the 2003 ALH Jetta. I ended up getting the GTD1752VRK Billet Wheel Hybrid Turbo vacuum converted and welded onto stock 1.9 2.0TDI from GotTuned.com Robert from GotTuned was a pleasure to work with and the turbo arrived here on the West Coast all the way from Poland only 3 days after I purchased it. Fab workmanship was great. The install was very easy, almost plug and play after removing the 1722. Only required a very small modification to my downpipe to cut the existing flange and weld on a V-clamp flange (that comes with the kit) to bolt on the exhaust to the DP. Its super nice to have the V-clamp flange instead of the goofy 3 bolt triangular flange all the other turbos have. Makes the fit much easier to install and gives it a little play in the rotation. The IC pressure connection only required a longer leg 45 silicon elbow to bolt on directly to my existing IC piping from where my 1722 connection was. I bolted the 45 silicon elbow to my existing 1.8t pancake pipe which makes the install super easy with long 45* silicon elbow.

My power set up is:
-RC5 28 psi tuned for the GTD1752VRK
-11mm injection pump
-Ported head w/ stage 2 cam
-New PP502 nozzles installed and balanced by Drivebywire
-3 bar MAP
-Eurojet SMIC
-PD Lift pump
-Larger Oil cooler
-PD 150 Intake, TIP & Airbox

Car is sooo nice to drive. I so much enjoy driving it again ... Specially after taking off my 18" RCs and installing new 16" OZ Ultraleggeras with streets tires... I previously used those with track tires on my Golf track set up. This set up drives so nice on the freeway now. Very gradual power and no smoke at all... The PP502s tamed it down a tiny bit on the power after replacing the R520 injectors that were in there before.... but super nice to have almost no smoke at all. The acceleration is strong and steady ... not as much of a beast, harsh & noisy acceleration as it was with the R520s nozzles but super smooth and so much nicer without smoke. This turbo spools up super fast... nicer response than the 1722s. Also I go the ceramic bearings and this turbo is crazy fast spooling compared to the 1722... also it keeps spooling for a long time after turning off the car... quite unusual and fun for me to hear the turbo keeping spooling after turning it off .. .very little friction at all on the shaft

Bottom line.. I love this turbo ... for those who want fast and reliable power on a daily driver ...super fun to drive .. I highly recommend this turbo... a 1722 taken to the next level ! Of course, if you want to build a beast or a track car, he has many other options with much more power to select from.

Unrelated to the new turbo, I tackled an intermittent power problem I have been fighting for a long time and I think I may have finally resolved it... at least to the point where I can enjoy driving my car again when it's hot and really enjoy it. It had been suffering some intermittent power problem upon acceleration when the air temperature outside got above about 95* F. When it was cold (during the winter or cooler summer days) the car pulled super hard all the time as before. However the intermittent power issue only showed up when it got very hot outside. Anyways I changed so many components chasing it down and trying to solve this issue ... including my 1722 turbo (which was still in perfect condition and replacing it did nothing to solve my problem - other than I love the GTB so much better LOL) , lift pump, multiple sensors, relays ect.. The last 2 items I did was changed the lift pump relay, and I ran bottle of a diesel purge through it.. Not sure if one or the other fixed something but it's been 98 outside for a few days and the intermittent power seems to have gone away ... Woo Hoo!!! Fingers crossed it stays strong

Also when looking for parts, I found an unopened shipping box from Drivebywire in the garage with newly mounted and calibrated new Injectors with PP502s nozzles!!! Score !!! Just finished taking out the R520s f and I put the new PP502s set of injectors WOW!! What a difference !! I love this set up! A little less power but much less smoke ... smooth acceleration.

Next mod, I may install a fuel cooler if I get any more intermittent power issues. But so far so good and this is the longest stretch of hot weather without any power issues.

Anyway here she is ... Back in good shape and going strong

PM me with any questions & happy driving to all :) .

Next to the 1722:

V-Clamp flange welded on the downpipe

45* long Silicon elbow to connect from the turbo outlet to the 1.8t pancake pipe

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Glad you like the GTD1752VRK. :) I feel vindicated as one of the earliest and strongest proponents of this unit for the TDI. I have collected 3 GTDs of different configurations over the years but with a young family now I just want to DD my ride and don't bother with mods unless to replace a dead turbo - but even with 380k km, I haven't killed the nearly 24-year-old original yet! So I'll be looking at reducing my inventory.

Pics of the turbo as received and extra hardware/fabrication to fit in your car would be great.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Unrelated to the new turbo, I finally tackled an intermittent power problem and I think I finally resolved it to the point that I can start driving my car again when it's hot and really enjoy it. It had been suffering some intermittent power problem upon acceleration when the air temperature outside got above about 95* F. When it was cold (during the winter or cooler summer days) the car pulled super hard. Intermittent power issue only showed up when it got very hot outside. Anyways I changed so many components trying to solve this ... including my 1722 turbo, lift pump, multiple sensors, relays ect.. The last 2 items I did was changed the lift pump relay, and I ran bottle of a diesel purge through it.. Not sure if one or the other fixed something but it's been 98 outside for a few days and the intermittent power seems to have gone away ...
Well, good if the problem is actually solved, but you don't mention any kind of upgraded intercooler. I would consider this to be a key upgrade considering the other mods you have. A fuel cooler would be good too.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for the reply, Yes I have an upgraded Eurojet SMIC & 2.25" upgraded IC piping .. .also Installed a pancake pipe from a 1.8t which fits very well with this turbo. This IC set up worked well for years with my 11 mm pump, 1722, R520 injectors & RC5 ... The intermittent problems started the summer before last .. took me all this time to get to what I hope is the end of it. A lot of components needlessly changed .... I still have not pinpointed the cause 100% but so far so good and it is super hot outside and she pulls hard and consistently... like in the good old days :)

Last edited:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I'd love to hear an exhaust video of it at idle and throughthe rpm range (hopefully you're straight piped). I plan to swap to one in the near future.

Bobo4255

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Manual
Also running the GTD1752VRK + PP502 + RC4+ on an '03 ALH Golf, and can second tothemax's experience. I went from bone-stock, so the difference was not subtle. To keep the scope in check, we have it tuned to top out at 28psi to avoid the need for 11mm pump or head-work, and to make it a manageable daily driver. It is spectacular on the highway, still mid 40s MPG at 75-85 cruise, 28psi boost basically on-demand in any gear.

And it still looks like a stock 90hp 4 door Golf TDI from the outside . . . until the hill climb.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And it still looks like a stock 90hp 4 door Golf TDI from the outside . . . until the hill climb.
Mine is also a 28 psi tune ... I love what you said about driving the 4 door sedan ... As VW said in a previous GTI commercial.. "A wolf in a sheep's clothing" ... Whenever merging into another lane, or needing to pass on a tight window the acceleration afforded with more fuel and air makes a huge difference in safety and so much fun :)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ditto here. I have .216s and a Malone tune with a 4bar map. No head work though. 28psi max. Stock response with double the horsepower and torque. I average the exact same mpg, perhaps a little better even (my old injectors were….old). I want to get lighter wheels - the longbeaches are like 23lbs apiece.

She went up and over the rockies and back easily. No strain at all.

ditto on tothemax. She passes cars so easily it surprises me at times.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
What have you got for support at the bottom? There is a wee bit more lever there than I think is OK, and thought that the pad att he bottom of the scroll would be a good spot but yours isn't even tapped.
cheers,
Douglas

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

At some point in the future I'll be replacing the turbo on my car. ..

Nothing wrong with it currently after 440k ... just looking for something "better"

What is long-term durability of ball bearing turbos?

Does anybody out there have a ball bearing Turbo with lots of miles on it?

I love the idea of performance increases but I don't want to be changing out or rebuilding turbos all the time

Thanks

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What have you got for support at the bottom? There is a wee bit more lever there than I think is OK, and thought that the pad att he bottom of the scroll would be a good spot but yours isn't even tapped.
cheers,
Douglas

Thank you for the feedback and question. Correct, I do not have any additional support at the bottom. The entire assembly is rigid and hangs straight down off the exhaust manifold. I am not perceiving significantly more moment at the exhaust flanges than the 1722s or vnt 17 turbos of that configuration. I believe many have been running this model (and the larger /heavier models 2260, 2265, etc. of similar configuration) for a long time without any stress cracking or other issues at the flanges or weld. I plan be running is as without any additional supports and see how it goes. Seems very similar geometry as the 1722. My gut feeling is that the manifold design including the four flange connection & their 8 bolts and the full pen weld at the exhaust manifold are more than capable of carrying & transferring any additional dynamic loads and moment generated by this turbo.

Next to the 1722...

Shot from the vendor website:

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
All stock alh and VNT 17, (I Also believe the 17/22 does too) has a lower mount, single bolt to the mid section lower of the block for extra support. From someone who had a port gasket leaking, would be interested in a support too.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
All stock alh and VNT 17, (I Also believe the 17/22 does too) has a lower mount, single bolt to the mid section lower of the block for extra support. From someone who had a port gasket leaking, would be interested in a support too.
The auto folk won't put in a part that they can get away without. This is a stamping and a bolt, plus an install station on the line. I have done development( including endurance testing ) on exhaust systems for a Tier 1, and you might be surprised at the loads that will get applied, and the fatigue that results from the loading and cycling.
cheers,
Douglas

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! now that you mention it, I seem to remember such a bracket on some of my turbos a long time ago.... one of the first times I removed and reinstalled these turbos, I never put it back ... It seems to have held solid all this time on both cars I had the 1722s, and a third with the vnt17 without the bracket.... Maybe it will hold on this one as well.... 🤞

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VNT-17s and 17/22s could use a bracket, just like the OE turbo. Having one is probably a good idea since the turbo is attached to something that moves (the engine) and the exhaust system can move far less.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
. Maybe it will hold on this one as well.... 🤞
Not that I don't want a GTD1752VRK...nor do I want you to have a preventable issue; I want to hear in some tens of thousands of miles you are still very happy with this beast. I suspect you will be; it is a nice bot o' kit for sure.

Have to point out the value of small statistical samples is not very good. This is what we are dealing with. Some exam of the nature of the vibration content, and the means by which the manifold/turbo is afixed should show the value of the support.
cheers,
Douglas

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not that I don't want a GTD1752VRK...nor do I want you to have a preventable issue; I want to hear in some tens of thousands of miles you are still very happy with this beast. I suspect you will be; it is a nice bot o' kit for sure.

Have to point out the value of small statistical samples is not very good. This is what we are dealing with. Some exam of the nature of the vibration content, and the means by which the manifold/turbo is a fixed should show the value of the support.
cheers,
Douglas
Thank you Douglas,

I much appreciate the spirit & value of your contribution and comments on this. I do wish I had learned or even thought about this before the turbo was bolted on, I would definitely have considered asking to fabricator about the possibility of tapping it and adding a support at the bottom. The addition of tapped connection & bracket would definitely stabilize the whole assembly and could prevent problems down the road.

I guess, in my case, time will tell. I am hoping it will hold up in the same manner it previously held on my Golf and two Jettas...(total about 550,000 miles). But then again, hope is not a strategy. LOL. Although it may not benefit me with this turbo installation, the sharing of information of this kind could certainly benefit others in the future who are considering this turbo and many like it (without a bracket support).

Best

P

bn_

TDI
mk4 wagon '00
Thank you Douglas,

I much appreciate the spirit & value of your contribution and comments on this. I do wish I had learned or even thought about this before the turbo was bolted on, I would definitely have considered asking to fabricator about the possibility of tapping it and adding a support at the bottom. The addition of tapped connection & bracket would definitely stabilize the whole assembly and could prevent problems down the road.

I guess, in my case, time will tell. I am hoping it will hold up in the same manner it previously held on my Golf and two Jettas...(total about 550,000 miles). But then again, hope is not a strategy. LOL. Although it may not benefit me with this turbo installation, the sharing of information of this kind could certainly benefit others in the future who are considering this turbo and many like it (without a bracket support).

Best

P
The 1752VRK is tapped for mounting a support on the BMW engine. But it seems like they cut off the whole hump with the threads on yours. You can see the location in your last picture, shiny surface just above the CV boot. I guess now there is not enough meat left to tap anything...

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Great Pierre that you've finally found the issue with the jetta, Gtd turbos are nice once you have them dialed in, mine still running great in my jetta with a lots of power, I'm running it with .290 injectors at 30 psi, it actually continues to surprise me how quickly spools with a decent power on the mid range, it reminds me like vnt15 on initial spooling, Gotuned built these turbos super nice and Robert is a great guy to deal with.