Mk6 DSG interchange

vwbusman66

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hey y'all,
Gearing up to pick up a 2012 4 door Golf TDI that has a few solenoid codes in the DSG. Doesn't grab reverse when warm, etc...
For the record, it's comically cheap, I'm a pretty decent wrench, and I did pretty much everything on my old mk4 TDI short of beam bushings (didn't need 'em).

I've started shopping for used complete transmissions, and am getting conflicting information regarding transmission interchange.
Do I need to find another DSG with the exact same transmission code as mine, or is one from a same year CR TDI acceptable?

I understand I'll need to do a clutch adaptation with VCDS (which I need to buy), and intend upon doing a rear main seal and DMF while I'm in there, assuming the whole trans gets replaced (I'm gonna try solenoids first I think).

Thanks!

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are two 02E DSG codes that car could be. You cannot mix 'n match the M-units, but the whole assembly it shouldn't be an issue. The code is, unfortunately, etched in the case UNDER the mount bracket. However, the build tag in the trunk will have the code on it, on the right side, across from the engine code typically. Or, any local dealer could tell you by VIN.

A new M-unit will fix it, but I have heard there are some solenoids available for the 02E in the aftermarket. I have no experience with them. Volkswagen doesn't sell any parts for the M-unit.

vwbusman66

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
From punching the VIN into a few VW dealer parts sites, I believe the car has an NLP transmission.

I've found a few sources for solenoids and will most likely try those first. If that solves it, I'll go ahead and order the genuine Borg Warner ones that run somewhere around $400/pair (from what I've found).

Good to hear I can grab any TDI dsg from a similar/same year car.