What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Minor interior upgrade: aluminum HVAC knobs from ebay. They are real aluminum with a machined-aluminum edge and a knurled aluminum grip surface. The face has a back-lit circle and black plastic trim. Overall, they’re nice quality.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Got up Sunday morn and cruised the for sale ads...and found my ALH. An '02 auto. It suffered an engine failure, and its replacement never started. Quite curious. It has a conti sticker on it saying that its belt, rollers and wp got replaced. Lots to look at... :) which matches the receipt for an ungodly amount of $$. The replacement was also a Jetta, but a waaay newer gasser.

So I know it was cranked...not going to do mo' damage trying. Bleed the pump and try. In the mean time acquire the stuff to check static timing.

This was in North Carolina...and it took 'til noon before I had a dolly on the back of Lurch and I was heading south. It was loaded by about 10 mins before midnight. She is Josie. A one owner, black with grey leather Jetta. Repainted( quite well ) due to the ugly clear coat, but as with groj kept Southern cars, the underside is clean enough to eat off. The inside is remarkably clean. No Monsoon though lamentably. The replacement was also a Jetta, but a waaay newer gasser.

As for you 'pics or it did not happen' types...sent me your number and I'll show ya. Confounded forum software...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Congrats on find ....

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Congrats on find ....
Thanks. I went through the 'kill da auto wabbit' thread, and I think I am going to need some help. Well, I started going through it again...LOL fortunately I have some parts bits laying about...but some of the details are not all that clear. Some of them no doubt may increase in clarity as I dive into her. Hope to discover jus' exactly kept her from starting. I may have a card up my sleeve if that defeats me in the form of a good runner that suffers low oil pressure. The 'couldn't get it running' coupled with trusting their job on the timing components is not sitting well right about now...heh-heh-heh.

I hope to be a significantly older man by the time I am done with this one. The white '04 is *Brilliant...and this one is just as nice( other than not running and needing to say 'Bye' to its 01m). Gotta get rid ov another project. Who needs a 1st Gen 12Valve?

Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well the headlights are working. Yay! I used some bulb grease that was lying around (dielectric grease I believe), and for whatever reason that did the trick.
The new headlights seem to be aimed well out of the box - there’s a very bright area lit up and pointed directly in front of the car and covers maybe 25 feet, with a sharp cutoff. Above that is far less bright but lights up well down the road. The combo is weird and hard to get used to but it’s far far superior to my old e-codes. If I aimed them higher I’d blind everyone. High beams work and really light things up but I rarely get to use them on I-25.

i did figure out that it’s my cobbled together relay setup that is flaky and not lighting up the foglights. Still need to fix that but knowing is a huge part of the battle.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Well the headlights are working. Yay! I used some bulb grease that was lying around (dielectric grease I believe), and for whatever reason that did the trick.
The new headlights seem to be aimed well out of the box - there’s a very bright area lit up and pointed directly in front of the car and covers maybe 25 feet, with a sharp cutoff. Above that is far less bright but lights up well down the road. The combo is weird and hard to get used to but it’s far far superior to my old e-codes. If I aimed them higher I’d blind everyone. High beams work and really light things up but I rarely get to use them on I-25.

i did figure out that it’s my cobbled together relay setup that is flaky and not lighting up the foglights. Still need to fix that but knowing is a huge part of the battle.
Are your headlights a projector retrofit? Also even though they seem aimed great out of the box did you take them to a wall and aim them the proper way for projectors?

I plucked this image from my DIY retrofit write up for my truck on another forum. It's the DOT standard for aiming projectors. I know it's hard to see, but the lower cutoff line number shown is 2.1-2.5" below the measured ground to physical projector center:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would love to find a Machinist's granite to do that alignment on Krash… :D

I figured a 'One person offended enough to flash me every 3-4 months' would be my high limit, but I got more than adequate visibility and I have not been flashed in longer than I remember... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Are your headlights a projector retrofit? Also even though they seem aimed great out of the box did you take them to a wall and aim them the proper way for projectors?
They are from Midwest Creations. Look them up in the vendor section. Jeff has been around for years now and has sold quite a few.

the alignment seems great out of the box. I don’t have a good flat area to park in front of a wall to do the measurements. For now they are fine

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
For a basic aiming, I just take a 2x4, about 4' long, and make a line with a sharpie across it at the height of the middle of the projector. I prop it up against something handy (I used a hand truck). If youre about 12' away, put the cut-off 1" under the line, 2" if you're about 25 feet away.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My Mk4 has been being neglected lately, as I've been driving the Passat. But I did a couple of things... Pickle lid hub caps and I also replaced the center console lid.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
They are from Midwest Creations. Look them up in the vendor section. Jeff has been around for years now and has sold quite a few.

the alignment seems great out of the box. I don’t have a good flat area to park in front of a wall to do the measurements. For now they are fine
I'm guessing they have a jig that they use to CLOCK the retrofit projectors to each other, but doubtful that they worry about vehicle height as that's going to be specific depending on the suspension setup. They may be fine to you, but projectors, if not aimed correctly, can be nasty to oncoming traffic, hence the sharp cutoff, and where the lower cutoff needs to be per DOT standards. Pretty easy to run to a local parking lot with a wall to get it right. You have done the right thing by doing HID's in a projector retrofit instead of just slapping them into a reflector housing, but getting them aimed properly is part of the deal as well, for other's benefit more so than the driver.

I do know Midwest though, I've researched them plenty when I was debating whether to start retrofitting myself or pay someone to do it.

Today I went back to the local Pick n Pull after I found out that my armrest wasn't functioning properly. I took it apart to find the locking mechanism was frozen in place. When I went back, the Golf I had pulled the cupholder console from the other day still had the armrest that I removed, sitting in the back seat. It was functional so I snagged it! While looking at the car I thought to myself, I should grab the parking brake handle too since they are specific to that center console (angled a bit more towards the driver seat). So I got that too.

Went home and re-installed everything (I had bent my other parking brake into place so it was fine, but figured why not get the one made for the console for cheap). I now have a functioning armrest, and a cupholder center console, with a rear slider single cupholder. Pretty stoked, have been looking for a couple years now.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
You’re preaching to the choir KrashDH. I hate even some of the brand new factory lights, especially from the full-sized trucks. Mine aren’t doing that.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
For a total of $16 (I got some other stuff too), can't complain!
I did something similar to mine today. I missed the radio cupholders so I took the ones from my 02 parts car and put them in my 03. (I should probably clean the interior of the car soon I know)

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You’re preaching to the choir KrashDH. I hate even some of the brand new factory lights, especially from the full-sized trucks. Mine aren’t doing that.
Yup. In my retrofit I did for my Cummins, since I'm leveled, I compensated and dipped below the DOT recommended 2-2.5" by the height of my level.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

I did something similar to mine today. I missed the radio cupholders so I took the ones from my 02 parts car and put them in my 03. (I should probably clean the interior of the car soon I know)
Nice! Haha I'm thinking about going opposite of you now that I have a cupholder console in the center! I have a double din Android screen in that location, so if those cupholders are out I don't have access to the scree. Not a big deal, but I'm thinking about deleting it or maybe putting in some USB ports or something useful in that location

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have a thread around somewhere in which I mention my in-dash docking station. I gutted a cup-holder and used a magnetic interface cable plastic-weld-puttied in the back of the holder. No fumbling around with cords and phones. Just jamb the thing into the slot (ensuring you're hearing/feeling the click- pretty obvious) and Android Auto (or CarPlay) will now be available; AND, you're phone will charge (something that you're not going to be able to do via Bluetooth).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have a thread around somewhere in which I mention my in-dash docking station. I gutted a cup-holder and used a magnetic interface cable plastic-weld-puttied in the back of the holder. No fumbling around with cords and phones. Just jamb the thing into the slot (ensuring you're hearing/feeling the click- pretty obvious) and Android Auto (or CarPlay) will now be available; AND, you're phone will charge (something that you're not going to be able to do via Bluetooth).
Found it:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/integrating-usb-ports-dash-cupholder-cubby.482872/

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Minor interior upgrade: aluminum HVAC knobs from ebay. They are real aluminum with a machined-aluminum edge and a knurled aluminum grip surface. The face has a back-lit circle and black plastic trim. Overall, they’re nice quality.

I got the same knobs and they are so cool and make interior looks so much richer IMO. Also I see you are going for that GLI look with brush nickle pieces. I have some door handles and door pullers and those lock tabs for each door if you are interested in more brush nickle GLI pieces.

Thank you
SAM

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Just changed gear oil with pennzoil synchromesh. Both plugs came out super easy. Removed the battery and inserted a funnel that way. Shifts much better now especially trying to get 1st gear at low speeds. Old fluid was nasty.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Just changed gear oil with pennzoil synchromesh. Both plugs came out super easy. Removed the battery and inserted a funnel that way. Shifts much better now especially trying to get 1st gear at low speeds. Old fluid was nasty.
I did this once on my 2003, but haven't yet on my 2004. VW says it's lifetime oil, but some folks swap it out every 100k?

I do have trouble downshifting into first, and sometimes engaging reverse.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I did this once on my 2003, but haven't yet on my 2004. VW says it's lifetime oil, but some folks swap it out every 100k?

I do have trouble downshifting into first, and sometimes engaging reverse.
I'm not sure. I never used to change gear oil on my cars. Judging by how dirty this oil was, I assume it's good to change it.

I only took the car for a short drive and most issues seemed to go away. Like an occasional rough 2 to 3 shift. And getting 1st gear from a stop or slow speed was a challenge before but now slips in with ease. So it definitely helped. Shifter is in need of some bushing and bearing repairs. Hoping to get to that tomorrow. I'd recommend you change the oil. I did with the engine warm and it drained completely in like 5 minutes. Plug back in then fill it up. Quicker than changing engine oil. Just make sure you use a proper spec for your gear box. Gl4 can be hard to find

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Since my door panel and cards are off the car right now, I took the time to investigate my intermittent door latch microswitch functionality. Seemed I had to open the door just right to trigger it. I had ordered the replacement upgrades per the $3 switch fix thread from Mouser Electronics.

Think there might be a problem with the button? 😂
Photo fixed via PC

Last edited:

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I did the same thing about a year ago. Except I used 1 quart of synchromesh and one of redline mt-90. I remember reading somewhere that that is the secret formula apparently. I did notice a difference in shifting. However, shortly thereafter, my throwout bearing finally decided it was done at 360K. So I did a single mass swap and a tune at that point.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did the same thing about a year ago. Except I used 1 quart of synchromesh and one of redline mt-90. I remember reading somewhere that that is the secret formula apparently. I did notice a difference in shifting. However, shortly thereafter, my throwout bearing finally decided it was done at 360K. So I did a single mass swap and a tune at that point.
I used the same "magic formula." I had also used the same mix of Pennzoil Synchro and MT-90 in my '02 GTi years ago (which had a GL-5 in it for a couple months before I knew and shifted terrible). The 02J seems to like the mix. Shifts well in both winter and summer here, which is a -13* to 95* spread in my neck of the woods.