Replacing the camshaft

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Ordered a new cam and kit, have a bad lobe on my 05 with 296000 miles. Any tips or tricks out there? Any info or things to watch out for are appreciated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Biggest watch-out seems to be the break-in procedure for the new cam. Involves a high-zddp break in oil and some specific instructions. Failure to follow proper break-in has led to a number of reports of premature failure on replancement cams in BHW, BRM, BEW engines.

There is also a special puller to get the cam pulley off the cam - you're going to need to buy or borrow one.

Also good to do the timing belt at the same time, but not absolutely necessary.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
All done, what a difference. One lifter was holed, and one lobe on the cam was flat. Didn’t have to pull the tandem pump, but loosen the 3 bolts that are easiest to get to, that gave enough flex to slide the new cam back in. Can’t believe what a difference this made, like a new car. Half a million miles here we come.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I'm also heading down this road. Any opinions on the Aimco camshaft kits on Ebay? Not too crazy about the idea of dropping another $800 on this car.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm also heading down this road. Any opinions on the Aimco camshaft kits on Ebay? Not too crazy about the idea of dropping another $800 on this car.
I wouldn't recommend an eBay kit... They won't last long.