Replaced Radiator and Condenser fans today -- some value-added info...

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
My driver's side fan had quit altogether and the passenger side fan sounded like it had gravel for bearings.

Ended up purchasing the TYC two fan combination unit that comes pre-mounted on a new frame. It was actually less expensive than buying the two needed fans separately. So there's tip number one. These are substantial looking and feel robust. Buy the combo if you're wanting to replace both.

On my vehicle, I've got self-imposed added congestion around the fans due to a Frostheater and a DieselGeek bypass setup. I originally thought I'd just take out the entire frame with the two fans mounted on it but that was clearly not going to happen. There was just no way to get it out -- too big of a unit in a too small space. So I simply took the old fans out (passenger side first) leaving the original frame installed, and removed the new fans from the new frame. I ended up just installing the two individual fans removed from the new frame -- tip two: even though the fans came bolted up to a new frame, they fit the old frame perfectly when swapped from new frame to old.

Tip three: if your old frame is intact and healthy, keep it in there -- there are snap-on wire loom cages on the original frame that don't come on the new one. There also is a mounting bracket for the connectors on the original frame that does not come with the new frame.

Anyway it was an otherwise uneventful job. I spent probably an hour just fiddling with connectors. I didn't want to break anything and it dealing with them was a real contortionist's ball.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

AC measured 38 degrees afterward with the ambient temp being 70 degrees.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
On tip three, I usually save all the old parts for a few days unless it's unusable and the new part is working.
You never know if you got something that may be defective.
I've had this more then once over the years. :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen so many of those Thank You China fans come apart, LOL.... I would advise against anyone using them. There is a reason they are so cheap.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was wondering what "TYC" was, thanks for the info.
Buying TYC parts is sort of like buying "Lifetime Replacement" parts from you local parts store...how much of your lifetime do you want to spend changing those parts when they fail?