Short trips with Passat TDI

gringojosh

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What is the shortest run time for a 2013 Passat TDI that you can take without adverse engine effects? Does it just need to reach operating temperature?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You can drive it 1 foot without too much adverse effect to anything engine wise. It is good to at least get it up to temp to boil off any water that may have formed anywhere. The emissions system (dpf) also needs to do a regen every 200+/- miles as well. What is your reason for asking this kind of question?

gringojosh

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I commute 3/4 mile to work. I stopped driving the car and rode my bicycle out of concern for the car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There should be no concern except for regens completing when needed. In order for this to happen regularly when needed you need to monitor them with something. VAGDPF on my android phone with a BT dongle works for me. There are other tools you can use as well. If you don't do this the dpf will clog eventually and at some point regens will be impossible and replacement will be needed. Which will happen again and again if you don't let them complete regularly. You have the wrong car for short tripping like that unless you take an active role in helping it.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
If you short trip the car, take it out on the weekend or an evening for a good 1/2 hour to hour drive weekly. Drive it don't let it idle in place of driving.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Indiscriminate trips like that will waste fuel and not necessarily get the job done. Monitoring it is needed so it is done when needed only and completes a full regen every time it is needed. Just my opinion though and it works well for me.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Suggest an hour trip maybe weekly or biweekly....let the car get up to temp, do a "Regen" and if you notice an slight elevated idle with the A/C off (the fan will stay on after shutdown) then the car was doing a Regen...and if you interrupt too many, it will cause a ✔ check engine light....it's hard on the system too.
Keeping you car on a battery charger with a remote plug-in would SERIOUSLY be a good option to save you battery...less than 5-15 minutes of runtime means the battery never gets 100% full, and will have a shorter life.....
Honestly it's not the car for the mission you have....but if you want too keep it...

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I commute 3/4 mile to work. I stopped driving the car and rode my bicycle out of concern for the car.
On another note, if you're that close to work, keep riding the bicycle as much as possible, then take the car out on the weekend for nice drive. Good for both of ya.