Losing oil, no visible leaks

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
147k on the clock. Just before my past two oil changes my Check Oil warning popped up. I made a note to the dealer to check for leaks, which they found none. It's only been a few thousand miles since my last oil change but just yesterday my oil light came on again. On a cold engine my levels are just under half on the dip stick. Any ideas why I might be losing oil? Also, I've never had to put oil in my car before. Which commonly available oil can I top off in my MK7?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I always lose right at 1 liter per 10k miles. @100k miles now, but it's been that way since purchase and have had two different turbos on the car with still the exact same results.
FWIW, my '01 does the exact same, 1 liter per 10k and it's at 313k now and fairly healthy mods.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@adjat84th That new engine in yet, I didn't see any updates in the thread :mad:, or TDI club is just not giving me notifications, which does happen quite often, haha.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Not too sure about these new cars with new emissions stuff.. but for kicks, stick your finger in the tailpipe. It should be very dry soot. I've found on my older cars, leaky turbo seal creates a pasty black soot, like somewhat moist

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is more than one thread here discussion the CRUA and CVCA (which for us is 2015 only) TDIs using some oil. I think it is just a characteristic of this particular engine, not sure why. The maximum allowable limit is such that you'd easily empty the crankcase between services (and many VAG gassers can do just that!).

I'd just check and top the oil regularly as needed. It's like a Subaru except faster and with better fuel consumption! :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you start off with the oil in the middle of the hash marks and try and go 10k you may end up with a low oil light, if you start oil level off at the top of the hash marks you should be fine.

Least that's the experience on our end. Also I've started using copper crush washers on the drain plug as the OEM steel washers was ever so slightly weaping.