Clutch rattle

zigrow

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I've noticed some clutch noise go from intermittent to a regular occurrence. I hear a rattling when letting the clutch out. Started off happening irregularly when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and only while letting the clutch out but now happens all the time.
I've also noticed the rattling when I'm in 1st coming downhill on my driveway in the morning.
Any ideas on what this could be?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Mileage? Could be dual mass flywheel

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
That's low for a DMF failure, but I guess it could be if the car got a dud DMF from assembly

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Bad DMF usually starts with rattling at idle and cooler temps.
Is the car tuned? A tune can beat the DMF up and cause premature failure if not adjusted to correct.
No heat shields loose that you can tell...or does it sound like it's coming directly from the gearbox?
If it's the DMF, I'd get the Sachs replacement and the Sachs slave cylinder/release bearing that eliminates another common failure point of the LUK brand where the O-ring fails.

zigrow

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I don't hear any rattle at idle. But rattling heat shield might make more sense. The rattling is more pronounced now when I'm in 1st going downhill in my driveway or parking lots just engine braking.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
for those suggesting the heat shield rattle, how can it be if it happens when he let the clutch out?

zigrow

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Just to clarify, the rattling in relation to clutch is only occurring as I'm slipping the clutch to downshift into 2nd to enter my driveway.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd would give the engine a good amount of twist, as would decel in 1st going down a hill...those two scenarios produce the same movements of engine rock and thus my guess of potential heat shield touching something as the engine travels to a certain angle.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I did have a rattle once in a BRM, which ended up been the exhaust pipe connector clamp completely rusted and loose.

Last edited: