Where can I buy a decent Jetta MK4 trailer hitch (within the USA St. Louis region)?

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
I have a TDI Jetta and would like to haul my 12k backhoe to job sites. Does anyone know where I can find a suitable hitch?

Joking of course, but truthfully, I will likely haul 2k supplies, firewood, etc around the highways and maybe a little more if just going down the road. I do have a truck for the slightly heavier stuff.

thanks for any suggestions!!

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
I have a wagon, so it might be different than the sedan... but I bought a Hidden Hitch shortly after I got the car in 2006. It's still there, still works well. It used existing bolts for the most part, though I had to drill one hole.

Also a good idea: toss out the steel bolts that come --with any hitch kit-- and replace them with ss bolts, nuts, & washers. Treat any new holes with something - paint, grease, etc to slow down the rust.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The European ones are supposed to have higher weight ratings, dutch auto parts has them for not too bad of a price. I just got a swans neck for my Passat that has a euro hitch from him, fast shipping and decent price.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Swan neck for mk 4 hard to come by. 2 receivers are more versatile and only option for bike carriers unless theres something from europe available

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

These are the guys, even with air freigDht it was cheaper than anything I could find in the US.
The Euro style hitch is the way to go, 1500kg towing capacity. I went with a fixed swan neck Bosal,
IIRC it was about $300. Will easily manage 2,000#s. I think the Bora is essentially the same as a Jetta.
If Dutch Auto has 'em, could be a bit cheaper.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Looks like a lot of trouble for us USA guys to get the nice German hitches (nobody here carries them). Too bad too because it looks a lot more solid than the Curt or Draw Tite (from what I can see at a glance).

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
The Curt hitch is doing fine for me. Although I don't think I've towed anything over 1000 lb with it.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
The Curt hitch is doing fine for me. Although I don't think I've towed anything over 1000 lb with it.
I ordered the Curt. I like how the European hitches mount to the sides of the trunk. It's more of a direct pull vs Curt's drop down which would give a moment (torque) to the mount points. Also, the Curt drops down then back up for the ball. I think going through the bumper for a more direct straight shot may be a better bet. But too late! Already ordered. I wish the European hitches were available in the USA.

Here's the comparison:

Curt hitch available in the USA:

Bosal hitch available to the European market:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Your pics show why capacity is ~ double for the Euro style hitch. The TDI will easily tow over a ton, but I wouldn't try it with the American style.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
777funk
It is not that hard to order a hitch for overseas. I ordered from Dutch Auto and it was here in 3 days from Europe. I didn't even pay extra for shipping. I was shocked to see it that quick (Pre-Covid). We even 2 day air parts from Europe occasionally for work.

My bosal similar to the one one you posted above. Its great because the width between the mounts is 1 1/4", so I just un-bolt the ball and bolt the bike rack on.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've had a Curt hitch for over ten years and towed quite often. Never had an issue, but as a veteran to loading/towing all sorts of things you have to be sensible about it.
Most people that tow things shouldn't. Just take a look at what you see going down the road.
It's not about what you can pull. It's about what you can stop.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hit up Cascade German, see what they have in stock. Was there yesterday and he had a swan style Hitch just sitting in the lobby. Not everything they have is listed online.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Ayup. You'll need the wiring for the lights, be sure to get a VW specific kit. IIRC I got mine at U-Haul, <$20.
Great. So about 350usd out the door for a European hitch. I'm a little nervous to buy there though becayse all hitches just show the ball. I'd hate to pay 350 for a ball (or the swan) only. Want to be sure I have the whole rig (all the metal parts). Can fab up the wiring easily enough.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
777Funk,

That sounds about right, it will include the replacement bumper as seen in your 2nd pic, post #12. When I was looking for one, all the American available offerings had the "quick remove" swan neck. For the then $200 difference, I went with the bolt on neck. The vertical bar isn't nearly the shin buster that the horizontal fitting is. Technically your hitch
I believe should be removable when not in use. I did get rearended recently at the lights by an idiot, no damage to the car
although I do think he bent the neck about 1/2". No problem with hooking up the trailer so I've left it alone. And now that I'm keeping my CRD Jeep and the girl friend now has her Tacoma, the Golf isn't called on to tow much.

Installation will take a couple hours, but once in place, you'll understand why everyone who's got one swears by 'em.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
From what I see, even the cheapest of the Europe hitches look better than the USA ones. I'd probably buy any of them. I don't understand why the USA hitches aren't like the European ones in basic shape and form. It just makes more sense to build them as such.

Nice list of mods in your signature line. Looks like a well crafted machine you've built.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh it's a blast too drive! :) With less than 200k on it should see me out, lol, I just turned 69. If I make it another 10yrs
I'll be beating "avg life expectancy". Put a lot of money into it when I got it ~5yrs ago, but been worth every cent.
Runs great, keep up with the maintenance, fix it when it breaks, barring accidents, I should ez get that 10yrs out of it.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Oh it's a blast too drive! :) With less than 200k on it should see me out, lol, I just turned 69. If I make it another 10yrs
I'll be beating "avg life expectancy". Put a lot of money into it when I got it ~5yrs ago, but been worth every cent.
Runs great, keep up with the maintenance, fix it when it breaks, barring accidents, I should ez get that 10yrs out of it.
No doubt! I wouldn't doubt that drive-line will last 20 or 30 years with good maintenance. And... you never know... you may make it that far also!

In a sense, I think some of the simpler/better cars that existed from the 80s to say early 2000s, will be worth preserving indefinitely. We certainly won't see them again. Engines I'm thinking of: 12 valve Cummins, Mercedes OM617, VW ALH, Powerstroke 7.3L, Anything Detroit Diesel Two Stroke, I haven't delved into the earlier mechanical VW engines, but I'm sure many of these as well. I could drive a fleet of these vehicles until my life on earth is complete (or until my wife or kids advise me that my license should no longer be renewed... lol).

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
I have a uhaul hitch and wiring harness that you can have for shipping from 31071
I would certainly not be ok with taking it from you! But I would likely be happy to purchase it so long as it made sense vs a new one. Is Uhaul's hitch the same hitch as the one in the picture here? When I looked it up , it seemed they use Curt, but wasn't sure. Thanks again for the message.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Chris Korwan imports them. He has a couple options - this is the detachable swan neck version. I bought one from him a while ago - much better design than the curt I had prior: