2006 Jetta TDI BRM fuel filter ????

Ramp Rat

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM; Case 580SK Backhoe; '06 Dodge 5.9 24V Cunnins.
On the 2006 Jetta TDI BRM fuel filter there are 2 types. One is known as the “early” and the other as the “late” model. What is the difference between the two other than the shape of the filter element? Why did VW change fuel filter design in mid-year? Was there a problem with the “early” model or was it a cost issue?
Thanks,

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I don't know the technical details of the filter, but when my early model canister just fell apart, during an filter change.
I was forced to move to the new canister, as I couldn't find the old one anymore.

Psilovybin

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (03/2006) 1K BRM
This was the filter I got for my BRM: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9ULFS

IIRC, there are 2, one is a pass thru (open on both ends) and one that is blocked on one side (not a pass thru). The one for my 1K BRM is the link mentioned above. It also has the 3 holed gasket that goes at the top. The old filter just slipped off the center core (very tight might I add) and I just slipped the new one on and put the lid back on and checked for leaks. less than a 10 min job. Hope this helps

Ramp Rat

TDI
Thank you everyone for the information. spfrancis just gave me something else to keep an eye on. If my old canister (early model) gives up I will need to update to the later model. :unsure:

Ramp Rat

TDI