Hills vs the flats

gringojosh

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I wish my 2013 Passat TDI would perform on the flats the way it does on an incline. It’s more than shifting at higher rpm; it’s almost like the engine gets a whole new character. Does VW tweak the ECU to make it run differently on hills?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Not sure about 2013 but I don't think the ecu responds differently on hills. You may just be getting into the turbo a more during the climbs and feeling that torque on your backside. I know when I have to push up hill I also get that torque feel and it's nice. Try mashing the pedal on the flats and see if you can get that power feel there too! (y)

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I don't have a boost gauge but I would guess on the flats at 60 mph the turbo is probably not generating any boost at all or very very little, the engine is making only about 15 hp or so to maintain speed, around 1 gallon per hour consumption. Even at moderate acceleration you will feel the turbo coming on strong, very quick acceleration to 80 mph in my car, fuel economy goes down to about 4-5 gal/hr, engine still only producing about 70-80 hp.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
My BV-39 at 60 on flat runs at about 4-5 lbs. It hits 22 lbs if I mash it. But I should add that I have a punched thru cat and it's straight piped. But even before I did that it ran about the same boost.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Is there an aftermarket boost gauge for a '13? I have EngineLink app on my phone, but don't remember it having a boost reading on it. I'll have to boot it up and see.

My '12 F-250 6.7 diesel has a boost gauge and running empty at 55 shows only 1 or 2 lbs of boost. I think that truck is governed at 20 or 25 lbs of max boost, but I usually don't use more than about 10-12, even towing.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Is there an aftermarket boost gauge for a '13? I have EngineLink app on my phone, but don't remember it having a boost reading on it. I'll have to boot it up and see
I would think boost would be one of the parameters on that app. But aftermarket yes, boost off your '13 is no different than any other ... it's just reading pressure and moving the gauge needle by pressure.... ecu is not involved at all... so you could install any good aftermarket gauge, if the app won't give it to you.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
ScanGauge II is a nice feature, mine is mounted on the far left of the dash. Boost, EGT, DPF temp and water temp. Let's me know when regen is occurring and how long to cool down before I shutdown.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
p3 gauges will read the ECU boost and has a nice OEM style look, just a bit pricy.