Buy a damn skid plate.. trust me...

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
I cut a sheep in two on a motorcycle many years ago. It cost most of the fairing, a fractured ulnar and radius and months to get the bits of sheep out of the exhaust headers , radiator and various other corners and crannies. A year later I was still finding bits of sheep in strange places. The bike stank for years. It was horrible.

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
And to redirect the thread derailment. A motorcycle magazine was taking photos of a bike jumping a rise. There were good sparks most landings. It was the oil drain plug grounding and backing out to the point where the bike dumped all the oil on the way home......

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I cut a sheep in two on a motorcycle many years ago. It cost most of the fairing, a fractured ulnar and radius and months to get the bits of sheep out of the exhaust headers , radiator and various other corners and crannies. A year later I was still finding bits of sheep in strange places. The bike stank for years. It was horrible.
ain't mutton that can't buff out LOL

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
So what is an alternative oil pan for the alh-- something off a PD? For example there are variants of the VR6 which have different pan heights varying by the model of the vehicle, and they are interchangeable.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So what is an alternative oil pan for the alh-- something off a PD? For example there are variants of the VR6 which have different pan heights varying by the model of the vehicle, and they are interchangeable.

PD and alh share the same oil pan. A skid plate being an item of necessity was what started this whole thread.

They call them shin and forearm guards

Something like this?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Driving out of Yellowstone a couple years ago there was a big bull bison coming up the road. He was ambling back to the park. Short of a tank, nothing would have prevented major damage if we'd have hit him. None of the guards/plates/bars are going to completely protect you or the vehicle in some circumstances. But something is better than nothing for the much more likely minor catastrophe.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You can purchase hybrid pans (aluminum body, steel bottom) and it takes VERY minor modification (couple swipes of a file or 15 sec with a Dremel) to make them work on the TDI (They are technically for the gasser)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
actually they do. many older style ones have them and most off roads do, to keep rocks from bashing the engine case. more of a rock guard then a skid plate.
Yes, they are very common on many "adventure bikes" most of which never go off road.
A great example is my recently added older

Suzuki V-Strom. Damaging the engine case (effectively the oil "pan") isn't much concern except in serious off road use (in which case you are on the wrong bike) but the oil filter and cooler are rather vulnerable even by flying debris and gravel/rocks thrown up by the front tire when riding unpaved, forestry or logging roads which is typical usage. A well made "protecting plate" is on order, but still waiting for it.
My GoldWing doesn't have a "skid plate" yet but the coolant recovery container is mounted underneath and often broken by road debris or poorly planned trailer loading ramp contacts. It's not on my list of things to get...
Sorry to revert to sidetracking the thread, but the skidplate choices have been well documented and debated many times.

Last edited: