2003 rear bumper swap issue.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
A long wagon rear bumper (bottom) was pulled from the boneyard to replace the shorty (top) which is damaged beyond repair. It was then noticed the long wagon bumper is missing the driver's side guide rail (I guess that's what it's called) It's cleanly removed like it was never there at all. I have googled around for a matching part number but so far no luck. Is this part removable with something like a heat gun? The part numbers on the left and right are different so it seems that it was intended to be replaceable.

With slim pickings on wagon bumpers I'd like to swap these parts across (long and short bumpers have the same part number).

As you can see, efforts were made to remove the guide rail from the old bumper but the old piece is about to break off. Nothing that some plastic epoxy wouldn't fix, but I really am trying to understand how to get the old part off without further damage.

If none of this is possible, can you think of a way to mount this bumper cover with that rail missing?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Uhh. Yeah that part is supposed to be plastic welded to the bumper. Somehow someone got it off.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Uhh. Yeah that part is supposed to be plastic welded to the bumper. Somehow someone got it off.
Any thoughts on how to get it off or get that bumper up without it? I am fairly sure both *might* be options but it is hurting my head. When you say plastic weld, do you think it might just be plastic weld of those 3ish areas at the bottom or the whole back. I know this likely uncharted territory, but thought I would check in first.

One of my first thoughts is to cut out the entire area so I can get it on a bench and hyper-focus on the area. I feel bad about cutting up a short wagon bumper but it is trash anyways.

Thanks.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've never seen it missing before, so you're in uncharted territories for me, if suggest just take it slow and be observant. I don't think it'd be too hard.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I've never seen it missing before, so you're in uncharted territories for me, if suggest just take it slow and be observant. I don't think it'd be too hard.
Well it was super easy. I cut the old section out of the bumper and put it under my dremel press. I used a grinding bit to grind the 3 plastic weld points out. Easy work. Now I will use JB Weld Plastic Bonder appropriately after carefully cleaning things up. Thanks for the encouragement.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Shaved bumper its a look i want along with golf nose freaks out vw people and makes car look shorter