Suspension Upgrade by using VW Parts for my JSW

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of MK6 Golf R struts/shocks but with no springs. I am thinking about purchasing the struts/shocks and pairing it up w/ VW Drivers Gear Springs and installing a MK6 GTI 22MM rear sway bar. Has anyone completed similar modification? I just want the car to be comfortable as it is my daily driver and a family hauler - but i want to make it fun as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I have VWR lowering springs and Golf R shocks/struts, ride is noticeibly stiffer but not too harsh. I also have an 034 Motorsports 25.4mm rear sway bar and a Unibrace UB tunnel brace installed. It's fun in the twisties and on and off ramps. Here's how it sits.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I did search, but thanks for searching anyway.

I have VWR lowering springs and Golf R shocks/struts, ride is noticeibly stiffer but not too harsh. I also have an 034 Motorsports 25.4mm rear sway bar and a Unibrace UB tunnel brace installed. It's fun in the twisties and on and off ramps. Here's how it sits.

Which VWR Springs did you go w? The Golf R Springs or the Golf Springs? I love how your car sits.

How does your car fare w/ heavy load in the rear?

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I did search, but thanks for searching anyway.

Which VWR Springs did you go w? The Golf R Springs or the Golf Springs? I love how your car sits.

How does your car fare w/ heavy load in the rear?
Unsure, purchased them used from someone local. It does squat a bit with a lot of cargo in the back, I might add some helper bags down the road.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
Not quite, but that'll depend on how much weight you have in cargo so YMMV. It's a noticeible reverse rake. These cars are not SUV's or pickup trucks lol.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax

What kind of bumper cover is that? Golf R? Did you buy the BC, Headlights and foglights as a kit?

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of MK6 Golf R struts/shocks but with no springs. I am thinking about purchasing the struts/shocks and pairing it up w/ VW Drivers Gear Springs and installing a MK6 GTI 22MM rear sway bar. Has anyone completed similar modification? I just want the car to be comfortable as it is my daily driver and a family hauler - but i want to make it fun as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
I chose the simplest and cheapest rear suspension mod, that of installing the GTI 22 mm (anti) sway bar. Recommended.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I have upgraded my old 2011 JSW with Bilstein HD's and wow! Day and night of differences but not coffee mug friendly.... LOL. Now I have 2014 JSW... so far the upgrades are 034 Motorsports 25.4mm rear sway bar, will upgrade shocks/struts soon. maybe few other goodies. now she has Malone stage 3 tune with CR170 turbo and CP3.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have upgraded my old 2011 JSW with Bilstein HD's and wow! Day and night of differences but not coffee mug friendly.... LOL. Now I have 2014 JSW... so far the upgrades are 034 Motorsports 25.4mm rear sway bar, will upgrade shocks/struts soon. maybe few other goodies. now she has Malone stage 3 tune with CR170 turbo and CP3.
So you're running a bigger rear bar w/ stock suspension on your JSW? how does it handle on turns w/ stock suspension?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
She hugged the road better and much less body rolls at turns and entering/exiting the freeways. definitely need better shocks. oem's at 93k miles are showing wear/tear now by showing more bouncing.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
All suspension on my JSW is stock, with the exception of the bigger GTI rear anti-sway bar. I prefer "coffee cup" friendly over wilder. Your mileage may vary.
looking into this option for my '13 JSW.
do i want a Mk5 or Mk6 GTI rear bar?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
answering my own question: it appears that GTI rear sway bar, 1K0511409CB is the same 21,7mm bar from 06 to 14.

i like factory parts and reading up, it seems like this is a great "bang for the buck" upgrade. currently looking into if the endlinks, bushings & brackets are the same between models....

Last edited:

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I also went for a GTI rear sway on my JSW. I have Neuspeed springs along with Koni Yellows that are set to one-third stiffness. I have been driving this setup for over three years, from up and down CA to across the country and here in New England. The Boston city roads sometimes make me wish for a softer ride, but 90% of the time I am very satisfied. Many of the freeway onramps / offramps here are S-shaped, so double apexes are very common. I recommend this setup.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I am seriously contemplating for the Bilstein HD's.... had a close call with road rage driver yesterday as I tapped brakes as he/she tail gated me too close as there was bunch of cars in front of me and I had to go on the shoulder and floor it and entered into other streets and escaped thru several streets. they in the Nissan versa or something similar couldn't keep up. my shocks are getting tired (been hearing loud squeaking in the rears and metallic clangs over speed bumps lately) and barely hung on..

OEM 95k miles Shocks....

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I cleaned up the GTI rear sway bar as there were some rust on it and I painted it to provide some protection. Yesterday, I finally got around to installing the GTI sway bar on my 2014 JSW.

You can see the thickness between the JSW and the GTI bar.

18MM vs 21.7MM thickness.

All in all, best $20 CDN bucks I have ever spent on improving the handling of the car. The car feels more planted on turns during my spirited driving and there's less body roll on my stock springs/shocks.