Oil pan

Mk3_Moe

TDI
1998 Mk3 TDI AHU
Hey Everyone, so I have a oil leak and I have this plastic piece under my oil pan and I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be lose when I move it, could that be the cause of the oil leak?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yes, that looks like the AHU from an MK3
that is just a plastic cover that helps keep heat in the oil, sound deadening (it used to have foam in there), and for general protection from whatever VW thought it could be for.
on all our cars its basically held on with zipties and a clip now. it has been and always be loosey goosey

Mk3_Moe

TDI
1998 Mk3 TDI AHU
yes, that looks like the AHU from an MK3
that is just a plastic cover that helps keep heat in the oil, sound deadening (it used to have foam in there), and for general protection from whatever VW thought it could be for.
on all our cars its basically held on with zipties and a clip now. it has been and always be loosey goosey
Yeah mine is held on by clips and it’s really loose and I thought that was the reason I had a oil leak for some reason but I guess not I’ll look deeper into it because I’m having a leak around there, so I’m gonna change my valve cover and oil pan gaskets to make sure that’s not the problem

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Stop throwing parts at it.
Get some engine bright foaming cleaner. Clean the engine bay. Find the leak. Fix it. Chances are it's your pan gasket bolts are lossening up. Or your turbo and or actuator is leaking. Intake gasket can leak. The point is, if your not losing too much, find the leak then weigh the risk. An intake manifold is no easy task, especially if you do not hav proper tools. It's impossible to torque it down to stop future leaks unless your creative.

Best is to use UV die kit

Mk3_Moe

TDI
1998 Mk3 TDI AHU
Stop throwing parts at it.
Get some engine bright foaming cleaner. Clean the engine bay. Find the leak. Fix it. Chances are it's your pan gasket bolts are lossening up. Or your turbo and or actuator is leaking. Intake gasket can leak. The point is, if your not losing too much, find the leak then weigh the risk. An intake manifold is no easy task, especially if you do not hav proper tools. It's impossible to torque it down to stop future leaks unless your creative.

Best is to use UV die kit
Sounds good will do, the leak is coming from the front of the oil pain, and the PO said he cleaned out the turbo and manifold and after he had no leaks so one thing I’ll definitely do is the engine cleaner clean up all the parts of oil and see if it comes back up and tighten the bolts if they are loose

Mk3_Moe

TDI
1998 Mk3 TDI AHU
For reference of others in the future, here's the photo that @Mk3_Moe linked above:
Thank you I didnt know how to post it right. And update I found out the bottom end is leaking around the oil pan and oil filter area so thankfully it’s not the top part