What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not a fan of that mod. Having a direction indicator that is indicating "left-right-left-right-left-right" for a left-hand turn...adds cognitive load to the follower. I know it's trying to mimic directional/dynamic signal lights, but it fails because there are only two bulbs in play.

Get the third (rear fog position) bulb involved, like this:

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Not a fan of that mod. Having a direction indicator that is indicating "left-right-left-right-left-right" for a left-hand turn...adds cognitive load to the follower. I know it's trying to mimic directional/dynamic signal lights, but it fails because there are only two bulbs in play.

Get the third (rear fog position) bulb involved, like this:
Do you have the coding for that? I could see how the kencha could be too much for you Canadians, the way you guys drive here in Washington 😝

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Pffft Amber turn signals is the only way to go, way more "Euro OEM+" and only costs the price of Amber LEDs and 30 min of coding.

I believe its easiest on the GSW, not sure if it's an option on the Hatchback.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Pffft Amber turn signals is the only way to go, way more "Euro OEM+" and only costs the price of Amber LEDs and 30 min of coding.

I believe its easiest on the GSW, not sure if it's an option on the Hatchback.
Amen, but don't forget the time and explosions of profanity required to pry out the red reflector strips!

Much better visual contrast with the ambers, particularly with brake lights on at the same time. I love having dynamic turns on the front and matching dynamic side mirror turns, and would love a dynamic configuration in the rear, but only if it could be done in amber, which it can't.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
OEM 7.5 LED Tails are the way to go on the standard Golf. Can be coded as dynamic or non-dynamic (not sure why you would, but you could), and best of all, they're amber.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Chris will know what you need, get the banjos as they are stainless and a few extra washers. review my instructions for relocating the ebrake hardware. the beam axle jetta splash shields make it look better than just trimming the original ones. The rear brake upgrade actually makes a bigger difference than the 312 front upgrade but both together are definately a huge improvement.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Chris will know what you need, get the banjos as they are stainless and a few extra washers. review my instructions for relocating the ebrake hardware. the beam axle jetta splash shields make it look better than just trimming the original ones. The rear brake upgrade actually makes a bigger difference than the 312 front upgrade but both together are definately a huge improvement.
We’re on the same page. But apparently Chris no longer remembers :confused:?

Would you mind PMing me either the order number or email address you used when talking to him?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have the coding for that? I could see how the kencha could be too much for you Canadians, the way you guys drive here in Washington 😝
Not quite as easy as coding - have to get into the wiring weeds a bit.
First, though, you have to drill out and insert wire for the rear fog position, then put a bulb in there.
The tricky part, though, is wiring in a couple of time-delay relays (per side) to create the "dynamic" effect.
More details and discussion in this thread.

I could see how the kencha could be too much for you Canadians, the way you guys drive here in Washington 😝
You must have good memory; doubtful you've seen many Canadians driving down there in the last year. :p

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Not quite as easy as coding - have to get into the wiring weeds a bit.
First, though, you have to drill out and insert wire for the rear fog position, then put a bulb in there.
The tricky part, though, is wiring in a couple of time-delay relays (per side) to create the "dynamic" effect.
More details and discussion in this thread.

You must have good memory; doubtful you've seen many Canadians driving down there in the last year. :p
Thanks for that info!

And yes, this last year has been nice, especially during the lock down. Seems like traffic is getting back to normal now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OEM 7.5 LED Tails are the way to go on the standard Golf. Can be coded as dynamic or non-dynamic (not sure why you would, but you could), and best of all, they're amber.
It's like 5-700 for euro tails right? thats mighty steep coin for something i'll never see while driving.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Hey, I signal and change lanes when anything with a large chrome bumper pulls up behind me, then I gaze upon them in the rearview. Plus I have them coded to be dynamic on lock/unlock. Only time they're not dynamic is when the hatch is open. And I always put my hazards on when I stop at the recycling on the way out of my complex or at 7/11 to buy Red Bull and honey roasted cashews, just so I can admire them... I see them all the time, haha.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, I signal and change lanes when anything with a large chrome bumper pulls up behind me, then I gaze upon them in the rearview. Plus I have them coded to be dynamic on lock/unlock. Only time they're not dynamic is when the hatch is open. And I always put my hazards on when I stop at the recycling on the way out of my complex or at 7/11 to buy Red Bull and honey roasted cashews, just so I can admire them... I see them all the time, haha.
If somebody comes out with a set of these for Mk7 wagons, I'd be all over it! And, yes, when I lock/unlock, I always appreciate the dynamic fronts and side mirror turns and lament the lack of dynamism in the rear, but comfort myself with the fact that at least the rears are amber and pretty closely timed with the fronts and mirrors (which are definitely timed with each other)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have dynamic fronts/mirrors/tails and was pleasantly surprised at how well they are all timed. My only "concern" was the timing (but not function) of the Ali-Express mirror indicators but they match the sweep of the Osram turn signals really well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the malone dsg tune today. Car feels great.
Does it hold gears "firmer" and more predicable shifts? right now our passat loves to hunt around with any sort of incline having it grab a lower gear then upshift as soon as it possibly can.

shortydog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI
Does it hold gears "firmer" and more predicable shifts? right now our passat loves to hunt around with any sort of incline having it grab a lower gear then upshift as soon as it possibly can.
Shifts are firmer and no more hunting for gears in traffic. I noticed a humming sound from about 50 mph and up after the dsg tune. I don't know if it's normal or something else acting up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pulled it out of the garage today. It's been 150 miles since the last fuel fill, which was in May of last year. Telltale sign that I haven't driven it lately was there were no masks in the car.

Drives nice, once the tires smoothed out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Actually this was at my house. But there are a couple barn find worthy cars in the warehouse. One B4V in particular.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks, pristine, IBW!
It's still shocking to me what a great-looking upgrade the HID headlights were on the Mk7; 7.5 improved a bit with the stock halogens, but I just find that they really detract from the look of the car, compared with the HID headlights.

And then the Osram aftermarket LED assemblies take it to a whole other level:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If only they took lighting performance to a whole other level.
Compared to the Halogens, I would argue they do. I would assume LP is better, but I would think Osrams lighting performance is closer to LP than they are to halogens.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Compared to the Halogens, I would argue they do. I would assume LP is better, but I would think Osrams lighting performance is closer to LP than they are to halogens.
As much as I love the aesthetics of the Osrams, I regret not biting the bullet and tacking either an LP conversion or an HID conversion of the halogens. If I could convert the Osrams to HID and, if there were room, add a pair of high projectors, I could die happy!

mk7gsw

TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6MT
Installed some brand new take off 19" Pretoria onto the wagon. Nice little upgrade from the factory 15's. Now I just need to watch those potholes....