Aftermarket fuel filter install

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I recently installed an aftermarket fuel filter head with CAT-1R0750 filter in the 2015 Golf. Years ago I did the same in the 05 Jetta and that has worked out well.

The kit for 2015 Golf https://nicktane.com/product/uber-fuel-filter-kit-passat-2010/

This install was not quite as straightforward as it was on the older car, I also deviated from the intended methods. I may have also been shipped some incorrect parts, or my car was not quite what they had in mind for the particular kit, I'm not sure. The vendor was helpful in sorting out the issues I asked about; I took care of some on my own.

The original fuel filter has 3 lines, all 10mm. Originally I was sent some 10mm and some 8mm banjo barb adapters for the new fuel filter head then I swapped them out for all 10mm to match original filter fittings/hoses.

The supplied welded together bracket I couldn't figure out how it worked/fit in the 2015. Which is OK because the original fuel filter cannister and bracket after some trimming makes a superb bracket to mount the aftermarket filter with the supplied large hose clamps. Left 3/4" of the cannister above and below the bracket, trimmed the sides closer to the bracket. Some rivets are in the way so added 1/8" cork gasket material attached to the bracket with contact adhesive.

Trimmed bracket

Corners rounded and cork added to clear rivets

The kit was supplied with one long and one short banjo bolt so the supply (from tank) and return line could be stacked on the same port.
I chose to purchase two more short banjo bolts (not use the long one) and modify the filter head to include a third port then all three lines would fit side by side in the same order like the original setup, a very clean install. Thread size was M12x1.5 and must be tapped dead square to the surface or you'll have leaks. Milled some clearance in the filter head for the new hose.
Also check the banjo bolts for burrs inside, it would be smart to deburr them, at least the one feeding the injection pump, to avoid passing metal into expensive components. All of mine had burs inside from the cross drilled holes.

Modified filter head

Only issue I had with connections was the hose from tank to filter was 1/2" short in my application. The original hose, though molded/formed, is more or less straight so I thought easy to replace with a new hose... except the hose barb on the quick disconnect fitting near the firewall is 8mm and the other end at the filter is 10mm.... If only I had kept one of those 8mm banjo barb fittings I could have used an entirely new piece of 8mm hose, and I would recommend that for anyone duplicating my attempts. Instead I cut the stock hose about in half and spliced in a new piece of 8mm hose with a barbed splice fitting. (hard to add only 1/2" length to a hose thus cutting the original hose and adding several inches of new hose)
8mm diesel hose I used https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fuel-hose-8mm-meter-n2035915-16121180409-p-3077.html

Short hose

Splice in 8mm hose

Summary:
The new filter using the original filter cannister/bracket looks good and fits perfect.
Still not sure about the bracket that comes with filter kit, didn't seem to fit.
Double check hose size and new barbed fitting size.
Expect to replace or lengthen the hose from the tank to filter in any case, probably use 8mm hose.
For a more professional look/fit add a third port to the filter head.

Use VCDS to prime the fuel system for minimum 3 minutes before starting the engine.

Finished

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
While I would not put it past VW to specify a subpar fuel filter on our TDIs, is there any evidence that the OEM filter is not good enough?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure, couldn't find a real clear answer. However I suspect that the CAT filter is better at filtering out smaller particles than the stock VW filter, and if not then I feel quite certain it's no worse. In any case it's the filter I wanted to use for this car and I have the same filter on several other vehicles and engines.
There are other filter options with the aftermarket filter head if you have a different preference, check the Nicktane website.

Wasn't trying to start a thread about which filter is better, there are countless opinions there.
Did want to share my experience and ideas for installing the aftermarket filter.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If going to the extra trouble of adding a different filter, why not use one with a water sensor in it? Water in fuel is more of a problem than inadequate filtration from stock filter system.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed,
With several hundred thousand miles on various TDI's and other diesels water in the fuel hasn't been an issue in my experience.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Agreed,
With several hundred thousand miles on various TDI's and other diesels water in the fuel hasn't been an issue in my experience.
How many miles on your car? If less than 162K, you've probably voided the emissions system warranty...

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
About 65K on it now. Stopped thinking about the warranty 30K miles ago and would have put this filter on even sooner.

I feel starting early to help it last as long as possible should pay off a few hundred thousand miles later after any warranty I might have had is officially gone. So unless my reasoning is flawed this 2 micron absolute filter is an easy/good way to help prolong the life of my fuel system.

It's not like you can get a new diesel VW any more and I like them enough this one has to last as long as possible. There isn't any comparable alternative.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Skip the filter, and get a CP3 then it's worthy of making a thread. ;)

This filter may force your hand in this replacement sooner rather than later, pair that with a DPF delete and you'll be golden for quite a few more miles.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Tried looking again for info on the stock fuel filter with no luck, someone thinks 10 micron (at what efficiency?) but I couldn't verify.
VW part number 5Q0127177 Anyone know the specs?

The CAT 1R-0750 filter I am reasonably sure is 2 micron absolute. The CAT website is not real clear but claims "Unique filter media provides unsurpassed protection" The filters are made for CAT by Advanced Filtration Systems Inc. (AFSI) they claim to be "the industry leader in high efficiency fluid filter design and manufacturing" furthermore "In Fuel Filter Competitive Testing, AFSI was the only manufacturer to meet all of the testing requirements, significantly outperforming the competition"
Marketing hype is no substitute for comparable data; but the data is hard to find in this case.

740GLE, what is your concern or reasoning for "This filter may force your hand in this replacement sooner rather than later" ?
What useful benefit do you see in the CP3?
From what I'm reading it sounds like the logical replacement for the stock pump but I don't see why I would install one preemptively?
My car does have a basic tune and a simplified exhaust system. During that process we actually detuned it twice to keep the clutch from slipping under WOT. It has all the power I desire already, and better mileage which is really what I was after.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I appreciate the post, pictures, and information, even if the stock filter is a solid performer.

What improvement did you see in FE after the tune?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
A few MPG better on the yearly average, right at 50 MPG.
Best MPG is on long trips with 55 MPG per tank easily and 59.5 is best tank so far. I'm sure it'd do better if I drove even more sensibly (less fun).
MPG improvement and savings on fuel with the exhaust work and tune won't cover that expense within the reasonable life of the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
740GLE, what is your concern or reasoning for "This filter may force your hand in this replacement sooner rather than later" ?
What useful benefit do you see in the CP3?
From what I'm reading it sounds like the logical replacement for the stock pump but I don't see why I would install one preemptively?
My car does have a basic tune and a simplified exhaust system. During that process we actually detuned it twice to keep the clutch from slipping under WOT. It has all the power I desire already, and better mileage which is really what I was after.
Changing flow/restrictions may cause bad mojo with the CP4. The chances are probably so small you'll never have an issue, but I'd probably look at changing out for a CP3 before improving filtration. Then again the fuel seems to be pretty decent around here.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Grigg3, Thanks for sharing.
I used a Nicktane filter for several years on my former highly modded 03 Jetta Wagon.
Looking to do the same for my next filter change on my new to me conservatively modded 15 GSW.

Why did you opt for the 2 micron filter instead of the 1 micron filter?

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
You're welcome.
Why 2 micron and not 1?
I thought 2 would still be plenty more than adequate. Primarily though the CAT filter is exceptionally easy to get, available at any truck stop among other places. Also I use them in other applications, so more convenient to buy by the case and stick with one fuel filter. Partly I want to believe that the CAT filters are trustworthy and reliable, perhaps more so than other brands but that might just be wishful, I don't know...

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Grigg3,
I received my Nicktane filter kit last week along with a couple Baldwin BF7633 2 micron fuel filters.

Was planning to do the install this past weekend but after looking at the bracket in the Nicktane kit and the oem filter setup in my 2015 GSW, i can see why you modded the oem bracket.

Where did you source the cork that you used with the modded oem bracket?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
It was some gasket material I’ve had on the shelf for many years. You could use 2 layers of 1/16” fiber gasket material from the auto parts store of 1/8” cork isn’t available, or even some inner tube or rubber sheet.
Contact adhesive worked well for me to attach it.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
why would some people try to reinvent the wheel all of the time?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
It was some gasket material I’ve had on the shelf for many years. You could use 2 layers of 1/16” fiber gasket material from the auto parts store of 1/8” cork isn’t available, or even some inner tube or rubber sheet.
Contact adhesive worked well for me to attach it.
Thanks.

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
hi, someone just brought this to my attention and i'm trying to solve a puzzle. i make this kit and have sold them to folks with 15 golf/jetta/passat and until 2 days ago i haven't heard of the fitment issues. i originally made the common rail kit for my old 2014 passat which the bracket worked on. that car also had one 10mm fitting and two 8mm fittings on the stock fuel filter. obviously switching to different fittings is easy!

however the bracket is my main concern and i'm looking for data as to why it fits some and not others so i can make a correct bracket and know definitively which exact cars it will fit. can you give me the part # from your passenger side motor mount?

I recently installed an aftermarket fuel filter head with CAT-1R0750 filter in the 2015 Golf. Years ago I did the same in the 05 Jetta and that has worked out well.

The kit for 2015 Golf https://nicktane.com/product/uber-fuel-filter-kit-passat-2010/

This install was not quite as straightforward as it was on the older car, I also deviated from the intended methods. I may have also been shipped some incorrect parts, or my car was not quite what they had in mind for the particular kit, I'm not sure. The vendor was helpful in sorting out the issues I asked about; I took care of some on my own.

The original fuel filter has 3 lines, all 10mm. Originally I was sent some 10mm and some 8mm banjo barb adapters for the new fuel filter head then I swapped them out for all 10mm to match original filter fittings/hoses.

The supplied welded together bracket I couldn't figure out how it worked/fit in the 2015. Which is OK because the original fuel filter cannister and bracket after some trimming makes a superb bracket to mount the aftermarket filter with the supplied large hose clamps. Left 3/4" of the cannister above and below the bracket, trimmed the sides closer to the bracket. Some rivets are in the way so added 1/8" cork gasket material attached to the bracket with contact adhesive.

Trimmed bracket

Corners rounded and cork added to clear rivets

The kit was supplied with one long and one short banjo bolt so the supply (from tank) and return line could be stacked on the same port.
I chose to purchase two more short banjo bolts (not use the long one) and modify the filter head to include a third port then all three lines would fit side by side in the same order like the original setup, a very clean install. Thread size was M12x1.5 and must be tapped dead square to the surface or you'll have leaks. Milled some clearance in the filter head for the new hose.
Also check the banjo bolts for burrs inside, it would be smart to deburr them, at least the one feeding the injection pump, to avoid passing metal into expensive components. All of mine had burs inside from the cross drilled holes.

Modified filter head

Only issue I had with connections was the hose from tank to filter was 1/2" short in my application. The original hose, though molded/formed, is more or less straight so I thought easy to replace with a new hose... except the hose barb on the quick disconnect fitting near the firewall is 8mm and the other end at the filter is 10mm.... If only I had kept one of those 8mm banjo barb fittings I could have used an entirely new piece of 8mm hose, and I would recommend that for anyone duplicating my attempts. Instead I cut the stock hose about in half and spliced in a new piece of 8mm hose with a barbed splice fitting. (hard to add only 1/2" length to a hose thus cutting the original hose and adding several inches of new hose)
8mm diesel hose I used https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fuel-hose-8mm-meter-n2035915-16121180409-p-3077.html

Short hose

Splice in 8mm hose

Summary:
The new filter using the original filter cannister/bracket looks good and fits perfect.
Still not sure about the bracket that comes with filter kit, didn't seem to fit.
Double check hose size and new barbed fitting size.
Expect to replace or lengthen the hose from the tank to filter in any case, probably use 8mm hose.
For a more professional look/fit add a third port to the filter head.

Use VCDS to prime the fuel system for minimum 3 minutes before starting the engine.

Finished

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Happy to help,

Motor mount numbers:
XXX ZFH15B60CG/
5Q0 199 262 DF

Sorry I didn't mention in our earlier emails about the bracket not fitting, I hadn't gotten to that step. Then I realized how nice the factory filter housing would work as a bracket and happily moved in that direction.

The fuel line issue,
If you want to supply a complete kit I think you need 2 nipples at 10mm, 1 at 8mm and include a foot or two of 8mm hose. I couldn't see any way to stretch or make the stock tank (at firewall) to filter hose fit an aftermarket filter, even with a custom mounting bracket or with stacked banjo fittings. (if you can figure out how you'd need three 10mm nipples on the filter and no extra hose)

Earlier by email you mentioned it not being worthwhile to make custom filter head with three ports. May I suggest make a 3 port head standard for your kits and include a plug for applications that need only two. You'd have more flexibility in using the filter head. Also the plug may be beneficial for bleeding air out of the system in some cases.

I'm still quiet pleased with the outcome of my setup using modified parts.

Grigg

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Happy to help,

Motor mount numbers:
XXX ZFH15B60CG/
5Q0 199 262 DF

Sorry I didn't mention in our earlier emails about the bracket not fitting, I hadn't gotten to that step. Then I realized how nice the factory filter housing would work as a bracket and happily moved in that direction.

The fuel line issue,
If you want to supply a complete kit I think you need 2 nipples at 10mm, 1 at 8mm and include a foot or two of 8mm hose. I couldn't see any way to stretch or make the stock tank (at firewall) to filter hose fit an aftermarket filter, even with a custom mounting bracket or with stacked banjo fittings. (if you can figure out how you'd need three 10mm nipples on the filter and no extra hose)

Earlier by email you mentioned it not being worthwhile to make custom filter head with three ports. May I suggest make a 3 port head standard for your kits and include a plug for applications that need only two. You'd have more flexibility in using the filter head. Also the plug may be beneficial for bleeding air out of the system in some cases.

I'm still quiet pleased with the outcome of my setup using modified parts.

Grigg
Hi Grigg,

thanks for the feedback. i appreciate it. couple thoughts- a 3 port head would be doable. i've still got hundreds of 2 port ones so i'll look into that for the next run. next, as far as the extra fuel line, if you mount the head with the inlet at the same place as the original filter's inlet, why do you need additional fuel line? i don't have that particular car so may if i did it would be obvious.

when i look up the part # from your bracket it comes back with this:

this above mount has 2 mounting locations for the bracket. i had another customer send me a pic of one with 3 mounting points for bracket. did yours have 2 or 3?

thanks

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I think this will link to a specific post which mentions the difference in mounts. You'll see that I replaced my motor mount, 2015 Golf TDI. The casting for my replacement mount (034 Motorsports) is missing a mount location. It's the same casting as the mount you have linked from FCP. It's possible their picture isn't exact, and it seems that no one really makes replacement mounts for the TDI.

They are just listed as fitting all the Mk7 Golfs but for those that use the stock casting, there is a difference. Superpro at one point made mounts, but the stock casting they used actually had that additional mount hole... it just wouldn't be used on a gasser.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
The stock filter housing on mine does have 3 mounting points to the engine mount casting. One is very low and center, the two others are high and easy to see.

Even with filters in same location The one hose is short because the new banjo nipples do not reach as far from center of the filter as stock. That hose is in a straight line, no give on the length. The other two hoses from the engine come over and make a 90 degree bend which allows some flexibility on filter nipple location.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
The stock filter housing on mine does have 3 mounting points to the engine mount casting. One is very low and center, the two others are high and easy to see.

Even with filters in same location The one hose is short because the new banjo nipples do not reach as far from center of the filter as stock. That hose is in a straight line, no give on the length. The other two hoses from the engine come over and make a 90 degree bend which allows some flexibility on filter nipple location.
I'm the other 15 GSW owner that had the same bracket issue. I too am in the process of modifying the oem bracket and actually like the 3 mounting points. Seems very solid compared to the 2 mounting points on the supplied bracket.

I'm kinda bummed to hear that one of the fuel lines may be too short when i try connecting everything this Friday. What is the best solution for solving the short fuel line?

ndamico

TDI
thanks. so far everyone is coming back with the same part #. i'll get one ordered up to mock up a new bracket.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI

ndamico

TDI