WTT: my MK4 Jetta TDI Manual for a 1st-Gen Touareg - SoCal

ixmxm

TDI
MKIV
EDIT: Made a purchase. No longer looking.

Throwing this out there... This Jetta gets 43 MPG and has a 5sp manual – just passed smog, no problem!
This may be a poor decision on my part with gas prices going higher and higher, but a great opportunity for someone looking for a fuel-efficient beater.

Let me know what you got

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Throwing this out there... This Jetta gets 43 MPG and has a 5sp manual – just passed smog, no problem!
This may be a poor decision on my part with gas prices going higher and higher, but a great opportunity for someone looking for a fuel-efficient beater.

Let me know what you got
And not a single detail about your car.... Good luck!

ixmxm

TDI
MKIV
If you don't have what I'm looking for, why bother replying?
If you do have what I'm looking for and interested in what I have, you'd inquire about it, no?
I'm in SoCal, you're in Michigan. This post isn't for you.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Out of curiosity, if your Jetta is a beater, what caliber of Touareg do you expect to get as a trade?
Or are you just looking for a boat anchor?

ixmxm

TDI
MKIV
I'm not expecting anything other than connecting with someone who who no longer wants their Touareg and would consider my vehicle that is 3 times more fuel efficient. If a fair trade can't be negotiated, perhaps we can negotiate a purchase.

This may be a poor decision on my part with
gas prices going higher and higher, but a great opportunity for someone looking for a fuel-efficient beater.

Let me know what you got

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Fair enough, but it seems a bit of Apples to Oranges so it might be a tough search.
- If both are pure scrap, the Touareg is 2x the weight, thus worth 2x
- If both are same year and condition, the Touareg is worth 2x the value due to having double the original MSRP... and this is only assuming that you're starting off with a fully loaded, latest model MK4 and looking at trading on an initial model BASE model gasser Touareg.

It might be a very hard "sell" unless you find a V8 Touareg owner to drives 40k a year to convince them of the significance of 43 MPG..... but I've seen crazy things happen before, so best of luck.

ixmxm

TDI
MKIV
Although I agree with what you're getting at, current value has nothing to do with MSRP or weight and more to do with what someone is willing to pay for it. KBB rates both a Toureg T1 and a 2005 Cayenne between $4k-$6K.

A "hard sell" is trying to find a someone willing buy a 16 year old 15MPG vehicle when gas is pushing $4-$5/gal and the 4 air shocks alone are more than the value of the car.

ixmxm

TDI
MKIV
Opening a thread with "Throwing this out there..." is a pretty good indication of how motivated they are. Continuing the thread with no pics, or even typing the odo reading, kind of cements it.
A good indication of how motivated I am: a clean Touareg popped up on Craigslist and I purchased it. Then I took a trip so no reason to reply to those fishing. The TDI is going up for sale.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
A good indication of how motivated I am: a clean Touareg popped up on Craigslist and I purchased it. Then I took a trip so no reason to reply to those fishing. The TDI is going up for sale.
When and where are you listing it? I'm a short drive away and used to live in OC