Wiper motor failure?

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi, 2011 wagen,2003 wagon,2013 wagen
OK. I did a google and forum search for my wiper issue: Daughter's car. 2003 wagon. Wiper works intermittently. The linkage is just replaced and
moves freely. What makes me think it is the motor, is that when it doesn't work, if you grab the wipers and force them to move, then they start working--
as if it is a dead spot or bad brushes.... Is the wiper motor a brushed motor?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I don't know if it's a brush type motor or not, but pretty easy replacement. I think I have a few spares I've kept around and never had to replace one yet. Of course, when you have/keep parts, you never need them.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
If you say the linkage was replaced was it binding up? If so that can destroy the brushes or motor in some way. Like jettawreck says, these spares are all over the place and hardly ever needed. I even have a few around the parts bins. Just swap the motor out with a used one.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi, 2011 wagen,2003 wagon,2013 wagen
If you say the linkage was replaced was it binding up? If so that can destroy the brushes or motor in some way. Like jettawreck says, these spares are all over the place and hardly ever needed. I even have a few around the parts bins. Just swap the motor out with a used one.

No. It turned out that the linkage wasn't binding--- I replaced it anyway because I had ordered one. I just ordered a new motor---if I had access to, or a used motor on hand, I would have tried it, but the car is needed. Snow and sleet are on the way--you just can't have a car without functioning wipers this time of year. If it were Summer I would chase the nickles and dimes, but not in February.

Thanks