BiTDI 4motion ALH passat b5

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
BiTDI 4motion ALH passat b5 variant

This is my passat b5 4motion running ALH / 130PD hybrid engine, on over 3.5bar of boost and some mods incl. diesel antilag + launch control.
It gets this heavy car 0-60mph in just 4.7 seconds at this moment. Im going to upload old photos at first, and then keep up with the progress, as this is far from being complete build.
some specs to tease your senses;
~AVF block, ported ALH head, custom 280/10 cam with some overlap
~GTB1756VK + GT4082KLNV Compound Biturbo system, 50mm ext. WG
~EDC15 swapped, custom harness, fully deleted and tuned by me.
~6bar map sensor, 4bar boost gauges.
~97gph lift pump, 320µm gibontas, 11mm alh pump
~6SPD quattro drivetrain, code: 01E, Sintered Audi S2 240mm clutch.
everything is done by me, expect the regrinding of cam, and crankshaft inspection by shop.
On how this all started? Well, almost a year ago i had my b5 passat snap an intake valve. it was fitted from factory with 5spd 01A 4motion, and 110hp AFN engine. it had just minor power upgrades, mainly from previous owner, as it was my first ever tdi, and a first ever car that got me into car technology at all.
This was the day that got me into building a BiTDI hybrid engine:

pushing the car behind the garage to wait for a better day:

Getting the AVF block and LP turbo:

Buying 2x ALH engines, 10mm & 11mm for 200$, dropping them in daily with a help of a tractor:

thats when i started to build this engine in my kitchen/living room, like any other normal reasonable adult would do:

E: feel free to help me on how to link pictures as high resolution, instead of thumbnails in this thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
Why did you chose the VP system instead of the PD ?
Cheaper cam/fueling design, this all was done at around 2k€, and im just a student as of now. I will prolly keep it as VP until i can someday find CR engine parts.

VP is ultimately limiting my power level as of now, but it is what it is

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
If you have over 3.5bar boost with good efficiency you can use bigger nozzle size for more fuel.

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Cheaper cam/fueling design, this all was done at around 2k€, and im just a student as of now. I will prolly keep it as VP until i can someday find CR engine parts.

VP is ultimately limiting my power level as of now, but it is what it is
Thank you for answering.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
both vane turbo actuators on the same N75?
What i can say is that both turbos have actuators that are working, and theres also somewhat intelligent wastegating system over HP turbine, to keep static pressure differential between chargers till boost gets around target level, then load is shifted more to LP turbo, leveling out most of the pressure differential.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What i can say is that both turbos have actuators that are working, and theres also somewhat intelligent wastegating system over HP turbine, to keep static pressure differential between chargers till boost gets around target level, then load is shifted more to LP turbo, leveling out most of the pressure differential.
aww come on you don't gotta be a secret squirrel about it

so some sort of custom standalone controller capable of independent control

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Awesome build! That's a right-sized turbo pair for a TDI. I did simulations on a similar concept 10 years ago here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=254284. It started off as a 5-cylinder build, then I worked on a 4-cylinder variant at the end of the above thread, then it got taken up an an actual project here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527

That LP turbo should support about 400 HP (not much more because the original application in a Hino (or ND or Hyundai) truck has a relatively small inducer and the truck itself made only about 270 HP in stock form).

Last edited:

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Interesting project. LP can support 400 bhp but HP turbine side likely won't. Compressor matching seems good.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I take it as a basic assumption that the HP stage will be bypassed at some point, and the OP's post suggests that his control strategy does something like this.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Over 3.5 bar with old Garrett sounds brave.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
How do you control those turbos?
Setup is long gone because it was becoming restrictive, but basicly the setup consist of n75 controlling the vacuum, and another to control the wastegate (pos pressure 1.8t n75).

both VNT's were set up to work with ecu n75 signal like normally these turbos do, the rods were adjusted in relation to each other to follow the boost request and correctly shift the operating point from hp turbo towards the lp.

In addition for that, there was 50mm WG over HP stage with HP pressure opening the port, and LP pressure closing the port, AND there was 1.8T n75 hooked up in the "LP pressure closing the port (top port in boost topology?)", so when boost pressure was about to hit the target, the ECU throws the n75% duty cycle up in vcds, and this bleeds the pressure out of the wastegate top, and opens the wastegate, letting exhaust gas flow to LP turbine, which in turn was controlled by the ecu.

Wastegate itself limited the HP:LP boost stage pressure differential to around 2.5bar, opening itself if that was exceed (spring rate). But at high boosts where LP turbo had already spooled up, the n75%signal opened up the pressure out of the top prt, dropping the HP:LP pressure differential way down, by letting the exhaust flow past HP stage.

Wasnt an easy explanation, ill take the blame.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
This is the turbo setup ATM.
HP Garrett GTB2056VZK
Cw: 43.4mm / 56mm 6+6
Tw: 43.1mm / 47mm
LP Holset HE500WG
Cw: 63mm / 99mm 7blade curved billet
Tw: 78mm / 84mm 12-blade

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
Some numbers about the build so far:

Ive killed 9 injection pumps. 3 this year in 4 weeks.

Turbos can boost 4.1bar @ 3000rpm, with just 2.9bar exhaust pressure.
Turbos can do 4.8bar with exhaust pressure still under boost pressure, lambda way over the roof.
Turbos are capable of <700hp. Im only using around 500hp worth of air, struggling at around 400hp with the VE pump problems. (shouldve done PD).

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
Ive narrowed the injection pump problems to 2 possible causes:

-Bad luck with used pumps
-Fuel filter micron rating

Filter element is CAV 296, some places say its 7micron, but i do not believe anything i read anymore about those.

Fuel supply setup is 100% best i could imagine right now:
-high pressure pump intank.
-Swirl tank pressurized to 1.5bar, regulated via regulator on top, flow back to fuel tank.
-On bottom of the swirl tank the fuel goes to fuel cooler, then to filter, at 1.5bar base pressure. Fuel temps in pump stay 25c above ambient temp.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Camplate, plunger size, and injector nozzle size are important details, as is the RPM you're running.

If they're just siezing the pump head I'd put money on it being too high of peak injection pressure.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
thing is, ive talked to quite few high hp alh guys and they all were like "yeah just stock 11mm pump and stock lines stock injector bodies and send it"

mine has 10mm dv's, regular 143 camplate, 11mm plunger, stock bodies, stock injector lines, and just 6100 rpm, id want to use the 6500rpm like the rest of the guys are able to, but i pop pumps even at these low rpms.

Idk if the 2.0mm injector lines would help, quite possible, but then again others have not had issues with the stock lines, its still 1,8mm, compare to what the cavity is inside nozzle, they are huge.

I hope to find solution soon.

Mikko P (ex owner of 469bhp alh) told me he ran stock 11mm, lines, bodies, just big injectors for 7? or so years without problems, even at 6700rpm.

Can the SOI change rate in pump affect the plunger accerelation so much, when suddenly asking for timing advance? this is one theory

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Using 2 stroke oil in the diesel? my 12mm liked 6000rpm with a little in there.

Nice project

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
mine has 10mm dv's, regular 143 camplate, 11mm plunger, stock bodies, stock injector lines, and just 6100 rpm, id want to use the 6500rpm like the rest of the guys are able to, but i pop pumps even at these low rpms.
what size nozzles?
there's not much selection in nozzles that are big enough

I've personally killed pumps running too small of nozzles, it's easy to tell because it'll be just fine until you request enough fuel to sieze the pump head.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
what size nozzles?
there's not much selection in nozzles that are big enough

I've personally killed pumps running too small of nozzles, it's easy to tell because it'll be just fine until you request enough fuel to sieze the pump head.
.320 gibonta @280bar

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I keep hoping someone'll have a new answer to that question. Seems the market on big nozzles is pretty stagnant.