throttle body fix

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW
I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 L TDI PD that i just bought 2 weeks ago off the original owner. it has 225k miles on it, and after some daily driving and some very very expensive fluid changes, i got a check engine light... took it to autozone and ran the code to find out my Throttle body needed to be replaced. called up my VW dealer and they wanted $695.33 for the throttle body ALONE. that’s with no install fees tacked on. i bought this car for $2700 as a good, spirited daily with good fuel milage. spending 700 bones on a throttle body seems ridiculous.
here are my questions, as i’m extremely new to the volkswagen, and the TDi world
1) are there any sensors that could trip the check engine light to go off for the throttle body
2) if not, are there any cheap, yet reliable replacement parts on the market?
3) should i not worry about it?
it’s been hard trying to get this thing up to tip top shape, even though it’s a very solid car. i’ve only had it for like 2 weeks and i already love this thing to bits. i don’t want to buy a volkswagen replacement, because i’m currently saving up for a timing belt service which is going to run me $1700 from the dealership service center. thanks for reading, and any directions to help me pinpoint my issue and help me get this thing back to mint condition will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

cheers!
-Jaxon (Gilbert Arizona, USA)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I doubt it needs a new throttle body. Generic scanners often get the wrong diagnosis. Try to find a TDI mechanic, belt service is pricey, but $1700 is too much. Even if you need to drive an hour or so to a good TDI mechanic, it will be worth it.

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubt it needs a new throttle body. Generic scanners often get the wrong diagnosis. Try to find a TDI mechanic, belt service is pricey, but $1700 is too much. Even if you need to drive an hour or so to a good TDI mechanic, it will be worth it.
going out to a mechanic today to get it all sorted out!

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 L TDI PD that i just bought 2 weeks ago off the original owner. it has 225k miles on it, and after some daily driving and some very very expensive fluid changes, i got a check engine light... took it to autozone and ran the code to find out my Throttle body needed to be replaced. called up my VW dealer and they wanted $695.33 for the throttle body ALONE. that’s with no install fees tacked on. i bought this car for $2700 as a good, spirited daily with good fuel milage. spending 700 bones on a throttle body seems ridiculous.
here are my questions, as i’m extremely new to the volkswagen, and the TDi world
1) are there any sensors that could trip the check engine light to go off for the throttle body
2) if not, are there any cheap, yet reliable replacement parts on the market?
3) should i not worry about it?
it’s been hard trying to get this thing up to tip top shape, even though it’s a very solid car. i’ve only had it for like 2 weeks and i already love this thing to bits. i don’t want to buy a volkswagen replacement, because i’m currently saving up for a timing belt service which is going to run me $1700 from the dealership service center. thanks for reading, and any directions to help me pinpoint my issue and help me get this thing back to mint condition will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

cheers!
-Jaxon (Gilbert Arizona, USA)
UPDATE: autozone scanner was a hunk of junk. i’m going to get my car looked at by a trusted mechanic and see if the butterfly shut off valve needs to be replaced...

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
In case it is needed...and it could be because the nylon gears inside are prone to stripping with age.
Yep, the OEM BEW throttle valve lists for $693 but can be had for $499 at the online VW dealer.
An aftermarket BEW throttle body valve is under $200...that is for a Pierburg brand.

Last edited:

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I fought this kind of thing on my daughters 1.8 gas car and found it was the connector plug was bad right where it goes into the throttle body.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Don't do the stealership find a guru for sure.

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't do the stealership find a guru for sure.

stealership lolllll
turns out its not that big of a deal, and im going to have it inspected again once i go back in for a timing belt service to see if anything changes.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
The problem with the wire connections is you can't see the problem. It can be difficult to even see it with a cheap ohm meter as you will read continuity and even voltage but the wire can enough amps to work things right. I was just having issues with the car dying on the road even after putting a different throttle body on I just cut the original plug off and soldered in a new one and it has never missed a beat since. The wires can rot out where they are crimped and it is really hard to see with out destroying the plug. VW may even have repair plugs for them.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check for oil contamination on the wiring harness. I had a leaky boost hose that spewed oil on the harness. A doggie collar eliminated the messy oil seepage.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is one of those parts that you for sure do not buy at a dealership. Pierburg is who makes those, and they are available in the aftermarket for less than $250, and are fairly easy to replace. I'd also get a dog collar for it while you are in there.

Reddogg12

TDI
1998 Vw Beetle TDI 259,000 miles 2006 Jetta TDI, 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
my throttle body gears were striped at 204000 on my 06 jetta. I could hear the electric motor running but not moving the flap. replaced it with a elcheapo from ebay. we will see how long it lasts.