New owner, have questions

MarshMarlowe

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2014 NMS Passat TDI SE with 35k miles. I've tried to do as much research as I could here on the forum and elsewhere, but I still have a few questions I'm hoping you all can help with

-I've read a lot about the repeated failures (clogging) with the heater cores. Other than a delete, there doesn't seem to be a sure fix for this issue. I saw some discussion about checking the PH of the coolant - how do you do this? If you need to drain and refill, what's the procedure (do you need to burp the system?) Is there an updated radiator available for replacement?

I see you need to change the brake *and clutch* fluid every 2 years. I have a DSG transmission. Does it have clutch fluid? Or is that only with the true manual transmissions?

My vents seem to blow weakly. I get hot and cold air as selected, but the actual air flow seems weak. I have changed the cabin air filter without improvement. Is this normal?

Thanks

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I'll take the easy question: Every 40,000 miles is the service frequency for the DSG auto transmission. This involves changing the filter and draining/replacing the oil.

brandsheph

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I see you need to change the brake *and clutch* fluid every 2 years. I have a DSG transmission. Does it have clutch fluid? Or is that only with the true manual transmissions?
For your car, brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage. DSG service every 40k miles. No clutch fluid.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Check the pH of your coolant with litmus paper.
Re: clogging of heater core, it is likely to happen at least once. When that happens and you get a new core, it is important to thoroughly flush the coolant system several times. The problem may or may not reoccur, lots of theories abound, few hard facts about it that I have seen. No need to replace the radiator if the heater core plugs up, if the radiator is THOROUGHLY flushed. As oilhammer says, the sure thing is to do a delete of the major emissions systems and a tune (totally illegal and costs $$$). The high temps during regen and the EGR cooler probably are probably the root cause.
Your fan should blow satisfactorily. The system is great at making noise, less good at actually moving air commensurately.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Search and read up on DPF regeneration, Burning smell from engine compartment and fans running after you turn the car off.
And DEF Fluid refills.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Subscribed. Lots to learn!

Just took delivery this past Saturday of 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL with 53k miles. I changed the oil yesterday with Pentosin SP3 507.00 because the car was most recently at a Chevy dealership where they changed the oil 100 miles ago with who-knows-what. Large VW dealership in Tampa put the car back in service last January 2020 (2700 miles ago) with dieselgate emissions "fix" and did DSG service, new brakes & tires on all 4 corners, battery, all new fluids and filters, etc. It spent the first few years in the Ithaca, NY area from January 2015 until it was sold back to VAG in ~March 2017 time frame. Sound familiar to anyone here?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Best piece of advice I can give a new owner is to get familiar with the dieselgate extended warranty, as well as the extended warranty on the heater core, turbo and possibly other things as a result of myriad recalls with this vehicle.

MarshMarlowe

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Best piece of advice I can give a new owner is to get familiar with the dieselgate extended warranty, as well as the extended warranty on the heater core, turbo and possibly other things as a result of myriad recalls with this vehicle.
How do I determine whether I have an extended warranty on the heater core? This vehicle is not a CPO as far as I know

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Look at the paperwork with the vehicle or call a dealer. If I remember right the heater core extension goes up to 10 years from original date in service and some number of miles, can't remember., whichever comes first. You might be able to find the answer by searching this forum.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
IIRC, the heater core warranty extension is VIN specific and 10yrs/120Kmiles. I had to call VW directly and my VIN did not qualify for the warranty extension. That being said, they can always add/expand warranty coverage, so check your VIN with them whenever work that could be covered needs to be performed.