New 1043's didn't fix high IQ deviation

GtoP

TDI
'05 Passat GLS TDI wagon
Hi all,
After researching all kind of different topics on the internet and here I don't seem to find the right fix for my problem.
I Own this 2.0l BHW since 03/2006, bought it new.
AND love it.
Not quite sure when or why that started but anyways now with 335k km it got that rough/stumbling idle from cold to ~64°C and one cylinder showing 3.01mg/str, once warmed up it's a little better.
DBW overhauled my injectors with 1043 nozzles 7k km ago.
Sometimes had weird steam like exhaust till warmed up. And that when outside temp. was 5°C.
Swapped spots, deviation followed!
Meanwhile Pete sent me an injector with new nozzle, still behaves as before!
Just installed a new stagell Colt cam 1k ago. (w/new INA lifters and Glyco bearings, of course)
What I changed/tested so far:
-cold compression 375psi all 4
-cleaned lift pump and tested volume -ok (~2l/min)
-Tandem pump (bosch) flows 1.3l/min, 60psi@900
120psi@3000
-new injector harness
-Torsion value 0.0 to date
-GP 5v steel, good (w/extended glow time)
-new CT sensor and T-stat
-CP sensor, tried new one no change put old one in
-CMP sensor, same as with CP
-new accessory tensioner
-alt. pulley/clutch good (~100k now)
-new Raxles drive shafts (5k ago)
-ASV, EGR working good
-MAF good
Still on OE mounts though.
And other obvious like no excess CC pressure, clean air filter,...etc.
Also towing a 3.5k lb trailer, hauling water (10k km with trl.)
Tranny started acting up of course now. (Did flush w/filter twice)
Maybe I forgot something.
What else could I test?
Thanks for any help.
Alex

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
youre cr is low normal tdi about 550 psi / 34bar
the inj. are struggle to compesate

GtoP

TDI
'05 Passat GLS TDI wagon
A little update.
Ended up sending all injectors back to Pete. He found the nozzles not sealing properly.
So he mounted another set of new nozzles, and all tested perfectly fine.
Got them installed and deviation and bad stumble GONE!!! :D
Actually still (chasing stumble leftovers) got a small hiccup-like stumble once in a few hundred revolutions. Tried to address it changing the O2 sensor, but no success.
Maybe excessive exhaust back pressure?
Did the idle boost test in basic settings group 11 at ~1400rpm min to max boost ~210 mbar.
Also at idle, requested vs actual boost doesn't match about ~140mbar. :confused:
I would think you can fix it via tune???
No leaks in Air intake tract as far as I know.
Alex

GtoP

TDI
'05 Passat GLS TDI wagon
Thanks QuickTD,
did adjust stop screw about one turn in and my deviation is at 130mbar. Think should be good for now.
But still got that stumble/shudder while cold. Actually every time I started it while setting up the stop screw. Had a couple codes(month ago, deleted them to quickly, thought it would show up again anyways but no so far) for O2 sensor and EGR, both signal too low. So, tried moving the EGR valve manually(with connector cover off) and it idles better when valve is closed.
Alex

GtoP

TDI
'05 Passat GLS TDI wagon
EGR Valve hanging open by any chance? I've seen a couple, but they usually stall a few seconds after starting, until you pull the vnt actuator hose, then you can drive them into the shop. The backpressure from the closed VNT vanes vastly increases the rate of egr with a stuck valve. Maybe try pulling the turbo actuator hose and see if the situation improves. If it does, your EGR valve may not be seating all the way.
Just did the test....hose off actuator >worse; EGR plug off >stumble gone and idles smooth!
Does it mean the EGR sensor is bad? ("position" sensor, for lack of better terms)...despite egr dynamic?
And by the way MAF spec. vs act. don't match (510vs420mg/str), EGR duty cycle %100.6 at +/-90°C eng. temp.
And still IMP 120mbar deviation ....all that when everything is back connected.
Thanks to all replies
Alex

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
I've had a bad mass airflow sensor give the same symptoms on a BRM. The egr was wide open at idle because the MAF wasn't reading correctly.