Battery

Nico payant

TDI
Jetta tdi alh 2000
Hi guys what battery do you use for the winter and what are your cca. I need it to start at -20 degres

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I go with the biggest one that will fit. For a mk4 golf or jetta that's H8 group 49. My wally world special has 900 cca. I think it is also rared at 80 amp hours.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dont bother with amp hours, AGM, or anything other than CCA and the date it was made.
900 cca is huge, 800 is fine and locally available anywhere.
Dont get swindled I to buying up on a better gold battery vs silver or any other marketing bs.
Find coupons, discounts ect. And buy whatever you can swing that is the best price you can land.
There are only 3 producers of batteries for cars and it's all a rebranding marketing game.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Current prices on batteries at Walmart
H8 900 cca $129
H7 800 cca $149
H6 760 cca $154

Advance Auto around 40 bucks more if you can't install your own battery. If that's the case then it's unlikely your driving a tdi.

All batteries die eventually. I prefer wamart because warranty and if there is a failure there is a Walmart in town with no auto center and sells batteries. So when you bring it back there's no testing.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi guys what battery do you use for the winter and what are your cca. I need it to start at -20 degres
I used to recommend dealer batteries but lost faith a few years ago after getting two that failed to start the car during their first winter.

I have been running Canadian Tire AGM batteries for the past 5 years and have not had an issue yet, but they are expensive ($300) when not on sale.

Simon

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The best Cranking amps by far that I have seen is the Braille i31S battery ....

Group 31 size and only 24 lbs yet puts out 3100 (YES 3100) cranking amps ....

It'll set you back a few $$ tho ... OK maybe more than a few at $3000 plus shipping BUT when you need cranking amps THAT may be the the one!

Go big so you can get home !

Andrew

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
94R Die Hard from Advance Auto five weeks ago to replace my AGM Platinum.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
and honestly, $150 for a decent battery and peace of mind, well worth the day you can't be late to work or something like that with a bum battery. unless you cant afford one and you must have something that works for the time being, buy it new