Alternator

klee

TDI
1999 MK4 Jetta TDI
Got a 1999 Jetta TDI.

Lights dimmed, lost power, required a tow. Prior to, my new battery never charged above 12.8 volts. So I assume my alternator needs replacing.

I understand that there are a lot of sketchy alternators out there, icluding Bosch. I've really had it with bad parts. Can anyone recommend a reliable source or make that I should purchase? And are there any other parts that I should replace along with the alternator? I'm going to have a mechanic do the work because I haven't time right now.

Thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Got a 1999 Jetta TDI.

Lights dimmed, lost power, required a tow. Prior to, my new battery never charged above 12.8 volts. So I assume my alternator needs replacing.

I understand that there are a lot of sketchy alternators out there, icluding Bosch. I've really had it with bad parts. Can anyone recommend a reliable source or make that I should purchase? And are there any other parts that I should replace along with the alternator? I'm going to have a mechanic do the work because I haven't time right now.

Thanks
I have always used Bosch remans, but if even those are sketchy these days I guess you are screwed.

Simon

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I would go with bosch .... I've had good luck with mine ...

If you're going to do the alternator you might as well replace the one way pulley and belt too and maybe even the tensioner while your mechanic is there anyways...

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Also, is there any benefit or problem with upgrading from a 90 amp to a 120 amp alternator?
No problem. Benefit is an extra 30 amps at higher rpm, but if you haven't noticed a need for it get whichever is cheaper.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Thought 120 was standard for tdi? 90 for gas powered. I get mine from azone and the other pkace lifetime warantee. Pulleys lock up before the charge goes

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Customers have had good luck with all three of these, including the TYC. I'd probably go with the Bosch or Valeo, which are both OE suppliers to VW. The Valeo or TYC may be easier for you if you don't want to bother with a core return, which you'll have to do with the Bosch. Or you could pick up a Bosch locally.

Is your car an automatic? Automatic TDIs had 90 amp alternators because they didn't have coolant glow plugs. But I don't think the 90 amp alternator is readily available as a replacement. People usually install the 120 amp.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Bosch or Valeo is what I recommend. I actually rebuild with bosch parts myself, but these ones aren't a super simple rebuild, like a Chevy alternator. The main ones to avoid are parts store ones (the "new"ones are the worst) and any other off brand. I would also avoid Wilson, since they've really gone downhill in their quality.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW

I would go with Valeo new. I am super happy with the Valeo brand new starter in my '04.