Alh in Toyota pickup starter clearance issues

Alhbandit

TDI
1990 Toyota pickup SAS + ALH
Hi there I have been scowering this forum for a solution to my problem and seem to have come up with no results. I swapped an Alh into my 1990 toyota pickup with the r150 transmission. The problem is i upgraded from the vnt15 to a vnt-17 and now my 1.7kw starter doesnt fit. I know there is a shorter 1.4kw starter that I am going to try and use but im worried that it will not fit as well. Has anyone found a solution for this? I thought about getting a universal clockable starter and making my own mounting plate. Id rather avoid this though.

Thanks everyone

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
This might not help since you already chose your turbo, but Passat exhaust manifolds kick the turbo up and away from the starter. Northwest Fab has a mini high torque starter they sell in their kits that may work for you

kajikidu

Hi there I have been scowering this forum for a solution to my problem and seem to have come up with no results. I swapped an Alh into my 1990 toyota pickup with the r150 transmission. The problem is i upgraded from the vnt15 to a vnt-17 and now my 1.7kw starter doesnt fit. I know there is a shorter 1.4kw starter that I am going to try and use but im worried that it will not fit as well. Has anyone found a solution for this? I thought about getting a universal clockable starter and making my own mounting plate. Id rather avoid this though.

Thanks everyone
I had this place http://www.hitorque.com/ make me a clock-able starter (ALH/tacoma R150) contact them, they will tell you the process.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
What adapter plate did you use? I had a similar problem with an ACME kit I used for an ALH/R150f, even with the stock VNT15 there wasn't anywhere near enough clearance for an exhaust. A BHW manifold and turbo would probably do the trick for you, it pulls the turbo away from the block. I tried that solution on mine but because its RHD the turbo hit the steering shaft. I ended up mounting an AAZ manifold upside down and adapting a clocked BHW turbo to it.

Alhbandit

TDI
What I ended up doing was clocking the start using threaded rod and 3/16” steel bar. Been working for 2 months! I’m not sure how you got pictures on here @PradoTDI ?

sorry for not reponding sooner guys

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What I ended up doing was clocking the start using threaded rod and 3/16” steel bar. Been working for 2 months! I’m not sure how you got pictures on here @PradoTDI ?

sorry for not reponding sooner guys
You have to make an album in the Media tab and upload photos to that. Then you can use the Gallery Imbed feature (little camera icon) when making your post to insert photos from your album. That's how I do it anyway.

Alhbandit

TDI
Right on! I think I'll make a big write up on the project and post the link here when I am done. A little what to do and not do lol

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds great, I look forward to seeing it!