Front end Grinding noise

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Good Day all. My 2000 jetta has started making an awful grinding noise on low speed turns. I bought new front strut mounts and bearings, but before I take it all apart is there any other component which could be the culprit? The noise doesn't really happen when I am stopped and turning the wheel, just los speeds.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Look also for a broken spring. One coil brokenoff will make that sound, and not drop the car much.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I put the car up today. Both springs, while rusty, look intact and unbroken. The dust shields are both clear of the rotors, and I don't think they would make such a bad noise anyways. Any other ideas before I replace the top mounts and bearings and call it a day?

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Disassembled the driver side, the top mount is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter then the new one, and the bearing was rusted to hell. The one surprise was the bumpstop beng wrecked, so I've ordered a new set and will reassemble everything once they arrive.

One potential future issue I can see is that where the bearing sits around the shaft, the shaft itself has rusted, and some of the chrome plating has flaked off. Assuming the rust will spring back faster then originally formed, due to the patch I can't fix, I assume I'll be doing full front end refresh within two years.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well, got it all back together and the noise persists. As of right now my new diagnosis is a bad CV joint on the driver side. I'll be taking it to a shop to confirm this before I throw more parts at the thing, but with all the suspension checked over, I am convinced that the noise is not related to those components. On the plus side, I have new top mounts, strut bearings, and bumpstops.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or it could be brake pad wear. Check the backside/inside pad. If the caliper sticks and refuses to slide on the mount, the inside pad is the one that will be taking all the pressure and wear. When the pad is gone and the metal backing of the pad is what is hitting the rotor, you will hear that grinding sound.

Cheers,

PH

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It was the outer CV joint. I pulled the boot back and it was very dry and gritty inside. New was was fairly inexpensive and went on easily enough.