What did you do to your MKIV today?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So, received harness for fog lights and and wired it up. Everything is swell except the euroswitch I’ve been using for 2 years is crap and fogs remain on with switch off. Oh, one of the h3 Hella bulbs I just received from Amazon will not light. To much time troubleshooting fubar equipment. I decided to have both upper and lower fogs come on together. New switch and bulbs ordered.

Just a note for the peoples republic of commifornia - vehicle code limits forward driving lamps to 2 pairs, one of which must be the low beams. I did DOT inspections for a truck service place for a while and had to know lighting rules.

I know other states this doesn't apply, or like here in So Flo they can't be bothered to pull you over for it.

Jason

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm always considering better lighting, but the midwest lighting solutions I didn't like - I felt like I was blinding people, even on low beams.

Anyone run these from ECS Tuning?

I tried a set of Spyder lights on my JSW a few years back and ugh - they were terrible. Totally uneven light pattern, spraying light all over.
I missed the return window, though, so built them up myself with a set of FX-R HID projectors and wowsa - now THOSE things put out some nice light!

Edit: I hadn't read KrashDH's reply before my response above, but basically, everything he stated accurately reflects my experience. Those projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, putting HID or LED in them will shoot light all over the place.

The Midwest lights are good - but I did have an issue with the two sets I bought from him breaking off their internal mooring, so I couldn't adjust them properly. I ended up having to take them apart and supplementing his hot-glue attachment with Goop adhesive. So, like KrashDH said - look at their alignment - on level ground, with the car parked like 25ft from a wall, the light line should be ~1-2" below the height of the bulb on the car.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have a basic outlet splitter, didn't know they made ones with on/off buttons! I still might consider a switched power source for mine though, because having to remember to turn it on and off each time, I'm sure I'll forget.
Yeah that's the only downside. But it's easy to tell, the adapter catches your eye because when it's on, it shows the voltage in red digital numbers.

I would have completely hid it and wired it to switched power if this unit didn't give with the parking monitor option, so I figured I better make use of the feature

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Were your Midwest lights projectors? From what I heard they do really good work. Any projector is going to have a better cutoff than a reflector housing. You can't argue that. If you're still blinding people with projectors, they are either aimed wrong, or you're on an incline and they are on a decline, vice versa, etc. That being said, most of the production drop in headlights that have projectors are garbage. They are meant for halogen bulbs (not HID's) and so if you try to run HID's in them it's not the best idea. If you'll be running a halogen in that projector, you're better off sticking with the stock halogen reflector housing. If you want a good set, have someone make you a set of dedicated projectors with a projector meant for HID's. You'll probably be dropping some coin unless you DIY. But I wouldn't pay that price from ECS for what you'll get.

Hey @Nero Morg, I was in the same boat when I installed mine. I didn't want to hard wire it in...I wanted to be able to power off or on at any time. I like that our lighter outlets are powered all the time for things like this. But I wanted the ability to cut power when parked for a long time at my house.

I found this on Amazon...it works great:

If you need it connected to power 24-7 for parking monitor, just keep it powered on. If you want to cut power, you can either cut power to the outlet that you're using for the cam via the side button, or you can kill power to the whole unit (usually what I do). I mounted it with some double sided tape on the passenger side of my center console where it would be out of the way. You could mount it on the driver side too.
Great link ... I have a splitter in my car but I like the faster charge rates of that of that unit .... I may buy one on cyber Monday.

Thanks

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Great link ... I have a splitter in my car but I like the faster charge rates of that of that unit .... I may buy one on cyber Monday.

Thanks
No worries, it's been awesome so far. I like that it has that bracket you can mount with double sided tape or industrial strength velcro any where you find space.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Found out it was in fact my drive cam that was draining my battery, went to start my car today after being home since Wednesday, fired right up no issues. Now to address needing switched power to the camera...

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Swapped to 11mm IP. (With some 200,000 less miles than my 10mm, and at a price I couldn't ignore... $150!)
A bit unnerved by how much quieter the engine runs.
Fuel timing is a bit less advanced than I usually run (~58 - slightly above middle line), but I wouldn't think it would make such a dramatic difference: WAY less ping/knock at idle.
Planning to advance it closer to 70 tomorrow...

Could the previous noise have been caused by my relatively high-mileage 10mm IP? (278,000 miles) 🤔
Guess I'll have my answer once I advance things back to normal.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check your IQ with the 11mm pump......might need to raise it to raise it....3.5-5 range......

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Check your IQ with the 11mm pump......might need to raise it to raise it....3.5-5 range......
IQ is currently ~3.2, but I didn't run it quite long enough to reach full temp.... I might need to raise it a bit.
Never experienced lower(or higher) IQ numbers causing much change in idle noise. My previous 10mm pump was routinely ran at 2.8, initially 2.2 when I got the car: raised it to minimize smoke.

The 11mm pump is new to me and I don't know much about its previous life, so I am going to be cautious with it for a bit. Probably feed it some diesel purge, etc.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Fixed the key fob. Previous owner submerged the fob and was using the key for everything (they also lost the other fob/key). Originally I tried to wash the PCB with distilled water, then isopropyl alcohol and finally blowing out with compressed air - still didn't work. Tonight I desoldered a few components, cleaned under them and reinstalled. I think the ceramic resonator and the SAW filter were the key parts to clean. Bench tested it - seemed to work now, put it all together and I now have a working remote!

Question for the group - I did lose one resistor, shot out from my tweezers. I'm guessing the value at 470 ohms, but can anyone with a fob with the rounded buttons please verify the number on this resistor? (471 ?)

Also need a new shell for this - old one is trashed. Anyone know where to get a decent one?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
... Anyone know where to get a decent one?
If you're going to move all your guts (including RFID pill, if needed) & blade over, look on Amazon. I think I bought a pack of 5 for $10 shipped and they looked and felt just fine. Some will include the VW logo to replace, some won't.

I may have a few (box full) of used OEM spares and since I no longer have a VW, I'd be glad to send you some. PM me if you're interested with the FCC/PN #'s.

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
The site tunemyeuro.com has key parts.
Thanks!

If you're going to move all your guts (including RFID pill, if needed) & blade over, look on Amazon. I think I bought a pack of 5 for $10 shipped and they looked and felt just fine. Some will include the VW logo to replace, some won't.

I may have a few (box full) of used OEM spares and since I no longer have a VW, I'd be glad to send you some. PM me if you're interested with the FCC/PN #'s.
Thank you! I did see some offerings for shells, but for the ones that actually showed a photo of the rear cover, the battery tang to contact the board was in the wrong direction. Regarding your offer, I'll pm you now. THANKS!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well, got a call yesterday, a voicemail, about my turbo breaking its shaft and having a runaway...
I thought it was the new turbo, the gottuned gtd1752vrk...

BUT it turned out to be the replacement stock turbo my old mechanic threw on (he had a spare one) after I blew up two VNT17s (new N75 valve was bad). And the mechanic knew enough to immediately put her into fifth, hit the brakes, and pull over. Max RPM was 4500, and the engine, thankfully, survived this.

I knew the replacement stock one was on its last legs. It was wheezing, and I was taking it easy. But my mechanic didn't know this and was doing some WOT runs just to understand the current tuning and response and boom!

Anyway, shew. Now they are working on installing the new one after draining the intercooler and so on.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I replaced the cord for my frost heater, as well as wired in a trickle charger and repaired a coolant leak. Now I shouldn't have a cold car when it get in in the morning. Also will be better on the starter and engine mechanicals.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Replaced both rear springs with what appear to be very new "Suplex" brand springs that I pulled at my local Kenny U-Pull.
My passenger side was broken at the bottom, and was making an annoying "pong" when going over bumps.
Also installed new lower spring seat packing shims which were only $8.25 CAD each and my local dealer.
Things feel (and sound) much better now :).

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Getting ready for winter... so installed my winter tires on steelies, and inserted 3 sheets of coroplast in front of the radiator.
See here for a "How To" https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ith-coroplast-to-keep-warm-for-winter.428973/
These sheets have lasted for over 5 years and only take a few minutes to put in or take out, but I put them in when the winter tires go on and leave them in until the winter tires come off.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Yesterday, added lower fog lights to pin 9 on the headlight switch connector and Aaron delivered new oem euro switch. One pull fogs in headlights, two pulls lower fogs and headlight fogs.

Today, replaced drivers door lock module. That job is a pain in the you know. I was having unlock issues from the remote. Seemed worse since it staring getting colder. All the switches in the module were working, no lighting issues or door locking issues or setting alarm. just unlocking drivers most of the time had to be done with the key. Working great now.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's the project I'm doing this weekend. Using my key to lock/unlock got old after a few months

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Nice looking GTDI! Did you add brushed aluminum interior trim and GLI seats?

I calculated 47 mpg last night, after filling up the tank, returning home from a trip. My wagon was full of production gear and it was night, so I was driving a conservative 65 mph most of the way. I don’t normally get this fuel economy driving 80 mph and accelerating swiftly.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
It has all of the brushed aluminum and black fabric interior components from a GLI, but it has GLX black leather power/heated/memory seats. The link in my signature lists all of the modifications and upgrades, and I am slowly adding links to tutorials and parts lists for each mod. I need to update the photo.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That first picture, I know exactly where that is lol nice car