MN Chat Thread

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Silly question - how do you guys measure out the oil you need when using the 2.5g, 5g?
I seldom buy the 2.5 or 5 gal jugs. When/if that's the only option I always have some empty (or nearly empty) gallon DelVac jugs. And since I usually have "open" gallon jug(s) anyways I just check the dipstick a few times as filling and do some other stuff between any needed adds to let the level settle into the pan.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Silly question - how do you guys measure out the oil you need when using the 2.5g, 5g?
I dump it out into an empty gallon jug with a funnel.
Mostly for ease of handling, not charging people for it so no real need to keep track.

Also, the same tip with pouring the gallon jugs goes double for the larger ones
tip the bucket with the pour opening "up" so that it doesn't glug, a bucket will do it something fierce if you try and dump it out the wrong way around

ETA:
At work we have three or four of these: https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-94046-Graduated-Measuring-Container/dp/B000CQFWZK
but they'd never stay clean enough in my shop, thus the old jug with a cap on it
at work we go through like 30 gallons a day so they stay pretty clean

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I just keep a shell t6 bottle around (filled up, and funnel in more if need be), or just start dumping it in from the 2.5g....not that that is the best way though (takes a bit more time to check between pouring because it has to settle). I usually have the 2.5g because it's cheaper in bulk. Otherwise if your looking for an easy one time pour, and it's ready to go you could measure it out exactly one time into a clear peanut oil jug (or something similar) then just make a line on it for future use.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I buy DelVac 1 ESP in single gallons because with the Mobil/Exxon rebates it's actually less expensive net cost (at least at the local Fleet Supply, $3.49/qt) than in the 5 gallon pail. And the gallon jugs have nice huge pour openings so no "venting" needed as they empty. It's also used in the GoldWing 1800.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I am selling the few bits and pieces from my RIP 2003 Jetta Wagon. .185 injectors, trailer hitch and wiring, oil and cabin filter, trailer arm hub installation tool

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't have to measure when using the 2.5 gallon jug... it fits the duraburb all in one pour... haha
yeah, my 7.3 IDI takes 13qt, iirc
kind of academic though, as it's got cavitation holes in the cylinder walls, so it isn't really worth changing the oil on.

I'd kinda like to stick an ALH in it for ****s and giggles, but until it's actually managed to kill itself it'll keep on being a hard starting 900lb lump of 100hp

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
but until it's actually managed to kill itself it'll keep on being a hard starting 900lb lump of 100hp
That pretty much explains them lol. Can't kill them, and they're gutless as all get out. Guess you can't always win both 😁

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The wagon tranny was going south and struggled on the hills in WI. Then I went out for late night snack and hit a curb and took out the radiator. I abandoned the car and bought 2007 KIA that I am cleaning up and selling and getting a truck.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh you did do the move, just in time what with the snow we just got.

was thinking it was still in duluth and was gonna offer 500 for the picked over remains, lol

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
And I have my eyes on an F-350 with a 6.9 diesel (1985)
they're pretty solid
generally very hard starting, and they have a propensity for external water jacket cracks, so look for that

autos are... well, best shifted manually once the vacuum valving on the injection pump acts up, but that's no big deal as they're only 3 speeds

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Old gal in a TDI parked at the grocery store.
I commented on her nice silver 2001 TDI,...
only 62,000 mile on it.
The rockers were just starting to rust.
She looked confused and said it wouldn't start.
I pulled the 1.6D, VNT-15 Rabbit up and tried to jump it.
There was no spark when I connected the last cable to the head.
Watched her try to start it.

Her foot wasn't on the brake,
I have to push the clutch to start a manual,
thought maybe you have to hit the brake for a starter lockout.
Then I saw the shifter was in reverse.
She put it in park and it started right up.
Got my good dead for the week out of the way earlier.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Old gal in a TDI parked at the grocery store.
I commented on her nice silver 2001 TDI,...
only 62,000 mile on it.
The rockers were just starting to rust.
She looked confused and said it wouldn't start.
I pulled the 1.6D, VNT-15 Rabbit up and tried to jump it.
There was no spark when I connected the last cable to the head.
Watched her try to start it.

Her foot wasn't on the brake,
I have to push the clutch to start a manual,
thought maybe you have to hit the brake for a starter lockout.
Then I saw the shifter was in reverse.
She put it in park and it started right up.
Got my good dead for the week out of the way earlier.
Should have offered to take it off her hands right there 😁

Glad you were able to be a helping hand, I'm sure she appreciated it!

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I regret not telling her to have someone pull the fender liners
and pull the crap out an wax it before the rockers rust through.
,... and not giving her my number so she could get ahold of me when the auto trany goes , ha.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
I hope its ok to post this in chat, I was hoping to pick up from a tdi member within driving distance.

Looking for 2-3 steel wheels for an 04 Jetta. I need to get a set of snow tires mounted for this winter. PM me if anyone has some to get rid of. Thanks.

seang28

TDI
2000 Golf 2D
I am selling the few bits and pieces from my RIP 2003 Jetta Wagon. .185 injectors, trailer hitch and wiring, oil and cabin filter, trailer arm hub installation tool
Is the trailer hitch available? Im looking for one to fit my 2000 golf, frame mount, i think bosal makes it. Sean in maine

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I've just been chatting on Messenger with a guy in Maple Grove with a 2002 Golf TDI, Tornado Red 4-door. It needs a little work and probably due for a timing belt, but the price is low. I really cannot justify another ALH TDI at this time, and would have nowhere to park it if I bought it. So is anyone else interested?

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
I've just been chatting on Messenger with a guy in Maple Grove with a 2002 Golf TDI, Tornado Red 4-door. It needs a little work and probably due for a timing belt, but the price is low. I really cannot justify another ALH TDI at this time, and would have nowhere to park it if I bought it. So is anyone else interested?
I may interested

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I may interested
2002 Volkswagen Golf · GLS TDI Hatchback 4D

For some reason I thought it had a manual transmission, but it does not. So that’s an issue. It’s on Facebook marketplace.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He seems pretty desperate to sell. Advertised for $3300, but offered it to me for $1200. It’s probably worth that just for the parts.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tornadored, is it the silver golf?
I recently saw another manual TDI beetle in the area for 500obo (said it did run, but it needed the intake replaced). Really thought about inquiring on it, but was to late. To bad too would have made a good parts car at minimum:(.
here is a local VW for a good price it seems. it's not a tdi, but still a vw. Figure you can't beat $120, as long as it's as he says..

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tornadored, is it the silver golf?
I recently saw another manual TDI beetle in the area for 500obo (said it did run, but it needed the intake replaced). Really thought about inquiring on it, but was to late. To bad too would have made a good parts car at minimum:(.
here is a local VW for a good price it seems. it's not a tdi, but still a vw. Figure you can't beat $120, as long as it's as he says..
No, it's this one. His new ad has the price lowered to $2400, but it's not a good deal at that price. He actually did offer it to me for $1200, but I'd already decided I wasn't interested. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/736370270285265/

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, it's this one. His new ad has the price lowered to $2400, but it's not a good deal at that price. He actually did offer it to me for $1200, but I'd already decided I wasn't interested. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/736370270285265/
And now he’s offered it to me for $900, after I made it clear that I was not interested. So an eager seller.

He's got it listed twice. Here's the other listing: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/378285856905815

Last edited: