Post Intake Manifold and EGR replacement question

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I've recently swapped out the EGR and intake manifold in my 2003 ALH. Details are here:

Follow up question on this - Any suggestions/tips on keeping the deposits in the EGR and Intake to minimum accumulation levels? I really don't want to have to swap them again.

Here are some options that I've researched:

1. I've seen youtube videos of TDI owners in the UK spraying Oven Cleaner in their EGR's and running their cars on idle to keep the airways clean 😮. It's a similar process as the "liqui moly diesel intake cleaner". Any members who have used this product? Any feedback?
2. Then there are tdiclub member who do "steam cleaning" by spraying water inside the boost host going into the EGR with the car running on idle :confused:.
3. I also read on the "EGR adaption" using VCDS. The members who have done it have posted mixed feedback for that.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Most deposits occurred from high sulfer diesel. Now that we (at least in the states) are on ULSD the deposits are very minor.

Even if enough deposits occurred, you're probably looking at another 150k miles before then.
I don't know about running oven cleaner through the intake, but I sure as heck wouldn't do it. A large chunk of dislodged carbon in the intake can cause all sorts of problems. Like stuck valve, bent valve, cylinder polishing, all sorts of nasties.

The water trick is an olllld school trick for cleaning valves, on really really old diesels. I still wouldn't do it, since the compression is so high now you risk hydrolocking your engine.

As for the egr adaption, all it does is change the valve to open less under an EGR controlled event. It doesn't close it.

If you're seriously worried about it, drive with the vac line plugged off for the valve. Plug it in for emissions testing. You have a 50/50 chance of getting a CEL.

Or just tune it out.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Any cleaning with the manifold on the engine risks getting debris into the engine, potentially messing up a valve. Don't do it. Take the manifold off and do it right.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Thanks for the feedback Nero Morg and ToxicDoc. We are using ULSD in Canada since 2007. I think it was just time to have those cleaned since they were last cleaned over 10 years/112K miles ago. My driving habits and route added to it.
I'll monitor the deposits from now on.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Occasional Italian tune up will help. Maybe once a week run it flat out entering the highway.