Post-fix mpg drop

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
It's been enough time now to get a feel for how my fuel economy has suffered as a result of the dieselgate fix. In 2018 I sold my car back to VW and purchased it back one week later. Despite the disappointing post-fix to pre-fix comparison, I can't say I have much room to complain since I pocketed a large chunk of change after the transaction.

Pre-fix my combined average was 42.8 mpg, and I could get as high as 46-48 hwy with just a little effort. Now, I'm lucky to get 40 on hwy tanks. Just comparing post-fix all hwy trips to my pre-fix average tells me my economy has dropped at least 4-5 mpg.

Looks like my best hope is to drive it till the fix falls off. No regrets, It's just a little bit of a drag seeing a receipt showing 13-14 gallons while knowing I'm nowhere near 600 miles on the tank.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
My fuel consumption went up about 10% post fix. Interestingly, my calculated consumption is now always about 10% higher than consumption displayed on the MFD. Prior to fix, the MFD result was accurate, same as calculated. So, if you are going by the MFD consumption number, you're living in la-la land... (& that is data based on 2 vehicles, also running a 2015 Golf...)

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I guess the fix in la-la Canada is better than the fix I got.
Didn't mention a thing about MFD numbers.

Jester

Veteran Member
TDI
My last tank on my 2015 jetta was 51 hwy, pen/paper calculations, and that was strictly driving the speed limit. I have bested that once or twice, but under normally driving, it is about like yours.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
Our 2015 Jetta seems to have been less affected by the fix, but I haven't checked many tanks since then to know for sure (wife's daily driver).

I drive the speed limit, too, but I don't think I'll see those 45+mpg tanks again in my 2014.