06 Jetta automatic DMF noise.

leocat66

TDI
2013 PASSAT, 2006 JETTA
We are located in the New Orleans area, Slidell to be specific, and are seeking a competent dealership to replace our T D I , D M F. We have contacted three in the area, and on asking for a ballpark cost of replacing the D M F, all three have responded , what is a D M F ? That response causes us to be at least apprehensive. After explaining, they all responded with a cost to do the job. Also we have had other issues with the dealerships in the past. While I do much of my own work, this project is well above my pay grade.

The death rattle is becoming worse, and this is currently our only vehicle. We are at 250,000 K. Although, we have read that the chance of it coming unglued are minimal, we are concerned, as the repair cost could increase substantially should it happen.

Has anyone had this type of problem repaired in this area, either by a dealer or other shop, with positive results.

A sincere thanks for all responses.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't consider a clutch r+r a diesel specific repair. Find a good local mechanic, spec the parts yourself.

leocat66

TDI
2013 PASSAT, 2006 JETTA
I don't consider a clutch r+r a diesel specific repair. Find a good local mechanic, spec the parts yourself.
Understand BOB, and you are right, but difficult to find one around here, once, TDI is mentioned, most run for cover. Still looking. Had a great Mech, but the poor guy, closed, after he came down with ALS in July.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Understand BOB, and you are right, but difficult to find one around here, once, TDI is mentioned, most run for cover. Still looking...
I would just look for a busy foreign car shop that will service a VW. Procedure is the same and those guys should be pretty comfortable with it. You just need someone who knows how to suspend the engine and not break an engine mount.

When I lived in New Orleans many years ago and needed help, I would use Crescent City Automotive on Magazine street. The owner Kevin was always honest and did quality work. It looks like he's still in business.

Then there's this guy in Gulfport, but the post is from 10 years ago:

leocat66

TDI
2013 PASSAT, 2006 JETTA
THANKS ALL !

Located a shop, right here in Slidell, St. Tammy Transmission, headed over there this A.M. They claim to have done many VW's. and have recommended by sources that I trust. Will advise accordingly, as this may help others, in this area, in the future.