Which tune should I use?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
2014 535D

I've been happily running a RaceChip Black piggyback tune for the past few years. Since now my warranty ended, I'm getting ready to do a EGR, DPF delete along with a true written tune.

I see a few different options. The only one I have experience with is a Malone on my A3 TDI with much satisfaction. Now I also see DUD and JR might be good options.

Any advice why one might be better or safer than another?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My 2014 535dx at only 149k miles is still bone stock. I have no plans to tune it.

Based on past experience owning 3 TDIs and having all of them tuned and modded, the only tuner I will do business with is Rocketchip. Jeff has tunes for the 535d and 335d. He offered to tune my 2014 535dx back in 2013 at TDIfest2013 in Maine. In 2016 at TDIfest2016 in Sturgeon Bay, WI, Jeff wanted to buy my 535dx on the spot but there was absolutely no way I would sell it. :) LOL.

I picked up my 2014 535dx in mid-August 2013, 2 weeks before TDIfest2013. My 2014 535dx was first one sold in NH, probably the first one sold in the New England states region, and among the first batch of them in the country. My 535dx order went into the system a little over 24 hours after the 535d and 328d models first appeared on BMW USA's website. My order went into the system on July 1st and the "customer sold" status on the order bumped it ahead of others in the normal build schedule. The build started almost the next day. The build took about 2 weeks and then it spent another 2 weeks going through all of its quality checks before leaving the factory. It spent a short time waiting to be loaded onto the container ship and the ship took about a week to come across the pond. After arriving at the USA port of entry (in NJ), BMW wasted no time in getting it transported to my dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH). I was originally told to expect 2 months from order to delivery but the process took a month and a half.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have a Stage 2 Rocketchip tune on my 335d, and all my TDIs are RC tuned. The 335d runs excellent, great power and it averages about 35 MPG, with all emissions intact.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I’m sure they tune it, but according to Rocketchips website, they don’t. One of my pet peeves when a computer company can’t even update their website.

I’m gonna stick with Malone. The guy has been tuning what seems like the longest and even teaches college classes in the field. Plus I had nothing but a positive experience with my Audi.
Car is getting the works done in 2 weeks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Of course you should do what you're comfortable with, and it's true that Jeff doesn't maintain his web site. His business is largely word-of-mouth, even these days. He was tuning cars years before Malone existed. I got my first tune from him in 2004, and he wasn't new to the market then.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Of course you should do what you're comfortable with, and it's true that Jeff doesn't maintain his web site. His business is largely word-of-mouth, even these days. He was tuning cars years before Malone existed. I got my first tune from him in 2004, and he wasn't new to the market then.
The gains that Rocketchips is claiming on his website on some of the cars he does have listed seem to be more comparable with a piggyback tune like I’m currently running from Racechips.
Again, maybe his website just isn’t up to date.

Other tuners claim better results, but maybe those numbers are with a downpipe, which is what I’m going with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
These guys have a good reputation, too: https://www.dudmd.net/ I learned about them from a friend who had to be able to show emissions compliance in Massachusetts with an X5 that was emissions deleted.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
What IBW said. Jeff's tunes largely sell themselves. My first tune from Jeff was on my 02 Golf TDI in early March 2005 at the first House of 5 Garages (Ho5G) GTG. :cool:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Got the 535D deleted and Malone tuned yesterday.

Stock the car is a very well driven diesel
With the piggyback it woke it up nicely.
With the delete and true tune.. its a beast.

Running on GoodYear RunFlats that need to be replaced soon, but now I'm briefly spinning all 4 tires from a dead stop.

Also happy to finally get rid of the speed limiter, mine was at 135mph.. Hit 140mph for a split second just to verify its been lifted. Malone states the new speed limiter is at 300kph, which translates to 186mph.. I doubt the car can even do that.

Feels like a new car, was definitely worth doing this.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
In 335D world, I'd go JR or DUDMD. Haven't closely followed 535D tuning. They have one less turbo, so not sure who the go-to is. Malone usually does good tuning.

slazenger

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
In 335D world, I'd go JR or DUDMD. Haven't closely followed 535D tuning. They have one less turbo, so not sure who the go-to is. Malone usually does good tuning.
Hey Blue Hen. I’m just south ot you in Fenwick area. Is there a local guy that does tunes ?
I have. 12 tdi Sw would live to get a stage 2. Thanks

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hey Blue Hen. I’m just south ot you in Fenwick area. Is there a local guy that does tunes ?
I have. 12 tdi Sw would live to get a stage 2. Thanks
I don't know of one. For BMW's, I know that DUDMD can be done by mail, either sending your ECU or them temp-loaning you their flash tool. My JR was done in Georgia at the same time some of my parts fell off.

For TDIs, everyone seems to swear by RocketChip. He's in PA.