Our newest diesel is here!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The Eurovan Camper was certified with a manual for 1995, and the standard Eurovan in 1994.

But, for full-size vans in the US, the last ones were the 1987 Ford Econoline, 1989 Chevy/GMC G-bodies, and 1993 Dodge Ram Van.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I suspect the lack of a low roof passenger Sprinter for us might be due to them being built here, and wanting to limit the configurations. Although our 4x4s still come from Europe.

I think we get a couple Transits Europe does not, though, like the low roof and of course the gas V6s+F150 slushbox.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Finally have experienced a couple of the new generation Sprinters. Over all, I like them. The electro-assist steering is very different feeling, much nicer at low speed parking maneuvers but feels pretty good and linear once moving. I'd say it is an improvement.

The brake feel is better. Touchier, with a bit more progressive "grab" when slowing down. The brake size didn't look any different but it might be.

Not a fan of the push button start (although I realize the "key" in the old ones is not really used in a mechanical sense, I still prefer it). I loathe the joystick gear shifter, especially considering the old style was nearly perfect in terms of both function and placement.

The loss of the diesel 4 cyl sucks, but at least the V6 diesel not only got some improvements (low pressue EGR, a'la VAG) but it also gets bolted to the 7sp transmission too.

The dash and instruments feels more technology laden, which some may like, I do not. Although it is reasonably clean and well laid out. They also added a DEF gauge, which is nice. The touch-pad steering wheel navigation takes some getting used to, and I think I would grow to hate it like poison. I do not think they call come with that, though.

They also axed the standard roof passenger van, so you have to get a high roof. Further making mine a unicorn.

I have not driven the 2.0L gas/9sp automatic version, just the V6 diesel. I suspect these will be priced much less and appeal to some buyers, especially fleets. They also have a lighter duty '1500' option they did not have before, although even these still have the 8550 GVWR to avoid some lower end emission regs. They also added a HD3500 and a 4500, some of which have nearly 3.5 tons of payload :eek:
You'd get used to the push button start if it was your daily driver. It's nice leaving the keys in the pants or coat pocket. I took a step back yesterday and drove my sil's 05 Mazda 3. His remote doesn't work, so I have to unlock the doors with the key and then put it in the slot to start the car. Oh what a horror!

I'm guessing that MB went up to the 3.5 ton payload for those that want to spend north of $150k for a tenement on wheels without going to the full greyhound bus.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I knew they were up there but haven't looked at anything that costs more than my house. Even then, I back up quickly when the sticker shows 6 figures. We're still debating between a travel trailer and a class C. Biggest thing is that I know she won't drive the truck and trailer combination except from interstate rest stop to interstate rest stop. Not sure if she'll drive the class C either. She grew up on the farm driving tractors and trucks with hay and grain trailers.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Don't recall the last "van" here available with a manual. 1993 was the last 3-pedal Volkswagen Transporter (and even those were rare). Transits, Transit Connects, all the rebadged Fiat vans, Nissan vans, GM vans, etc. are all automatics.
In Europe, Transits with an automatic weren't available before the mid-cycle refresh when the 10-speed came, Transit Connects were manual only for the first two model years of the current body style and the automatic only comes with diesels, Fiat Doblò (Promaster City) is manuual only still, Ducato just got its first torque converter auto this year, all European spec Nissan vans are manual only, GM does not sell vans in Europe at all.

It was really not that easy to find what my wife wanted: An automatic Ford Grand C-Max with the automatic and big diesel, but without the second row.
Manuals are available everywhere, vans with two pedals... unicorn.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495831

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Keep in mind that Europe gets the Transit Custom, which serves the low-roof market there, where we don't.

(We also don't get any of the FWD full-size Transits. And IIRC, they don't get any of our powertrains any more - even the 3.2 diesel, IIRC that was replaced by smaller diesels.)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 2020 Transit gets a 2 liter diesel from the Ford Ranger in Europe. 211 HP, 369 torque. Sequential turbos.

Isn't the Transit a longitudinal engine/rear drive platform? How do they make a front drive version?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It's both a longitudinal RWD and a transverse FWD platform.

The FWD ones have a ~4" lower floor, too.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
It's both a longitudinal RWD and a transverse FWD platform.

The FWD ones have a ~4" lower floor, too.
...just like a lot of competitors do it:
  • VW Crafter
  • MAN TGE
  • Renault Master
  • Nissan NV400
  • Opel Movano
  • ...and the Sprinter, which even comes in an attractively-priced "drive head" version to be combined with a low-floor RV or car hauler chassis...

FWD Sprinters come with either a 6-speed "ECO-GEAR" manual transmission

or the 9G-Tronic, RWD/4WD Sprinters get the 6-speed or 7G-Tronic.
I have not driven an automatic Sprinter in the last 18 years. Our company vans are manual, every rental I have ever been in was manual...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It mystifies me how we now have two or three generations of Americans who don't know how to operate a manual transmission. It's not just kids who are learning to drive. It's their parents, too. And the age groups in between.

oilhammer

TDI
Peter, we see people who cannot figure out how to check oil.... we even had a 20-something in here last week that (seriously, I watched) could not figure out how to open the hood on his 2014 Camry. The engine was three quarts low on oil (it holds 4.25). :eek:

If their smart phone doesn't tell them how, they are lost. It is really sad.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And on the other hand, my youngest (millennial) has more mechanical aptitude than I'll ever have. I love working on cars with him because he's so much better at it than I.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My first diesel experience was sailing as engineer in a schooner with twin Cat 3604s. The oil was checked EVERY TIME just before the engines were started. I check the oil in our cars at every fuel up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It mystifies me how we now have two or three generations of Americans who don't know how to operate a manual transmission. It's not just kids who are learning to drive. It's their parents, too. And the age groups in between.
Growing up in the city, the last manual car my parents owned was a 59 or 60 Volvo that my brother cracked the head in in 71 or 72. Something about running a 12 year old car at 90+ for an extended period of time.

I didn't learn to drive a manual until my college girl friend taught me how to drive her 64 or 65 ford fairlane with a 3 on the tree. Since we got married in 82, there's only been about 5 years that we've not had at least one manual.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
The interesting paradox is that by getting a young (or older) person to drive a manual car he/she will be more engaged with the driving process and therefore he/she and the passengers in the car will be safer.

oilhammer

TDI
Update: took my first long trip in the Sprinter a couple weekends ago. To rescue a wrecked Golf in Baltimore. It did great. Although I did find out how to get down to 20 MPGs: hook ~3k pounds of Volkswagen behind it and blast down the highway at 75+ with the A/C blasting. My average for the whole trip was still 22, so I'd say pretty decent.

Was able to overnight in it comfortably at rest stops, too. Closing in on 15k miles.

Made a tow bar out of a bumper from another Golf, with a couple supports welded on. Swapped that over when I got there. Golf is an automatic, so I had to let it idle the whole way home, but it didn't seem to mind. Every time I stopped, I went back and ran the RPMs up to about 3500 for a few seconds.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Golf is an automatic, so I had to let it idle the whole way home, but it didn't seem to mind. Every time I stopped, I went back and ran the RPMs up to about 3500 for a few seconds.
Funny how these cars don't care about stuff like that. Two summers ago I drove my son's Golf to Wisconsin, following him in his old pickup truck. The truck fouled its plugs (story for another time) and we had to swap them out in Ohio. I had his cat in the Golf so we let it sit and idle with the A/C on for a couple hours while he fixed the truck. Car didn't care, cooling fans would run occasionally, othewise normal. Got 50 MPG on that tank, too.

oilhammer

TDI
After a lot of deliberation following my son's passing this year, wife and I decided to part ways with the Sprinter. My intention was when both my boys were gone, we'd remove the lift and convert it to some sort of camping/travelling rig. However, my boys left us sooner than I thought, and we didn't get nearly the use out of it we thought we would.

We sold it to a couple in Maine, who have twin eight year old boys with Lowe's Syndrome, like my boys had. I gave them a great deal on it, and wife and I delivered it to them in person this past weekend and flew back home yesterday. They will certainly get use out of it going forward. It is replacing their Caravan, which is a third the size and uses more fuel, and they are happy to get rid of it before it needs another set of cylinder heads. It is currently broken down again waiting for the underhood electronics box.

We got to visit with them for a day, got to see some wonderful sights in Maine, and will always keep in touch with them via our Lowe's community, so I will maybe get to see my Sprinter again some day.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Brian, it breaks my heart to think about all that you and your wife have experienced with your sons. I absolutely can't imagine. Makes me want to track down my kids and give them hugs.

Good for you for paying it forward with the van. That's a great gesture, and I hope it gives you some comfort that it'll get good use for some deserving children.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Peter, it has shown me to never take things for granted. Especially children. My wife and I are moving forward, and I'll carry them in my heart always as I do so. Lots of things in life we've never been able to do until now. I am almost overwhelmed by NOT being overwhelmed with concerns for my boys all the time.

I wish we'd have had time this past weekend to drop in and say hi. We were right near you. The new Sprinter owners live in Brunswick. Beautiful area, we got a brief but fun filled day of seeing some of the sights Maine has to offer. Then rode into Boston to fly home.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hi, Brian:

Our condolences to you and Lisa. I can’t imagine all that is going through your minds. I’m glad the Sprinter went to a deserving home. They and their twins will make good use of it, I’m sure.

I was also in Maine last weekend... just out for a drive checking out the fall colors.

Much love,
Lawson & Jason