Sachs SMF Flywheel Bolt Torque Spec

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Yes, I searched. Maybe I just suck at it. Since there were no torque specs in the box and I am upgrading from the DMF set up. Can anybody give me the proper torque specs for the sachs SMF kit. Purchased from a trusted vendor, but the box was missing parts and it has been a fiasco. Please help me out if you can. Trying to put the motor and tranny back in the car. Car has been down since november of last year and I really need to get it back up and running.

I'm thinking the correct torque is the 44 foot pounds plus 1/4 turn. But want to make sure it is right.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just use the Mk3 settings, same thing

"Flywheel bolt torque: stage 1: 22 ft-lbs. stage 2: 44 ft-lbs. final stage: additional 1/4 turn (90o turn)
pressure plate bolt torque: hand tight, then tighten diagonally or in a pattern, in stages, to a final torque of 15 ft-lbs. Tightening the bolts in stages like 2 turns each bolt in a star pattern diagonally across the pressure plate keeps it flat while tightening."

I took that from here

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/clutch-and-flywheel-removal-rear-main-oil-seal-replacement-mk3/

Personally I used the ooooft! method, never lets me down :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
No worries, nice kit, fitted the same one last year and have no regrets

ranagon

TDI
'01 ALH Beetle; '02 alh wagon.1, '02 alh wagon.2, '03 ALH wagon; '04 BEW wagon, '05 BEW wagon.1, '05 BEW wagon.2
Old thread ... but a good reference.

44 ft. lbs plus 1/4 turn makes my 1/2 inch torque wrench click at about 95 ft. #.

That seems high .... 90% proof torque on a M10x1.0 DIN 12.9 bolt is 82 n-M or about 60 ft. #.

See ...

I guess you're just supposed to take the bolts almost to yield.

Does anyone else have an observed correlation between the '1/4 turn' method and actual applied torque for flywheel bolts?

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Just use the Mk3 settings, same thing

"Flywheel bolt torque: stage 1: 22 ft-lbs. stage 2: 44 ft-lbs. final stage: additional 1/4 turn (90o turn)
pressure plate bolt torque: hand tight, then tighten diagonally or in a pattern, in stages, to a final torque of 15 ft-lbs. Tightening the bolts in stages like 2 turns each bolt in a star pattern diagonally across the pressure plate keeps it flat while tightening."

I took that from here

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/clutch-and-flywheel-removal-rear-main-oil-seal-replacement-mk3/

Personally I used the ooooft! method, never lets me down :D
my sachs clutch came with 12.9 grade m8 capscrew for pressure plate, according to normal torque tables they can go 42.6 NM or about 31ft/lbs.
I put mine in with locktite at 25ft/lbs. To much or to little??

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The book spec is likely for torque to yield fasteners. Very possible kits are sold with different ISO class fasteners. You can look up general torque specs by ISO, thread size and pitch etc.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Old thread ... but a good reference.

44 ft. lbs plus 1/4 turn makes my 1/2 inch torque wrench click at about 95 ft. #.

That seems high .... 90% proof torque on a M10x1.0 DIN 12.9 bolt is 82 n-M or about 60 ft. #.

See ...

I guess you're just supposed to take the bolts almost to yield.

Does anyone else have an observed correlation between the '1/4 turn' method and actual applied torque for flywheel bolts?
Old thread rehash, just did min and checked, seem to be 91-92 ft pounds