1995 Ranger/B4000 TDI Swap

RamblingswithRyan

TDI
Future Ranger TDI
Following this thread! I love engine swaps and want to do a TDI in a ranger sometime. For now I have to content myself with a factory diesel 1983 ranger. It just doesn't have the power of a TDI though.
Glad to have ya here! I’ve been lacking in my posts lately. In real time, I just got the engine running, drivetrain is all together, and I am finishing up the list of small things that slows these kinds of projects down.

Yeah those little Perkins diesels don’t have a whole lotta go, but those trucks are definitely cool. The 1983 would be pretty similar to my 94/95 since the frame and suspension is similar, if not identical.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Glad to have ya here! I’ve been lacking in my posts lately. In real time, I just got the engine running, drivetrain is all together, and I am finishing up the list of small things that slows these kinds of projects down.

Yeah those little Perkins diesels don’t have a whole lotta go, but those trucks are definitely cool. The 1983 would be pretty similar to my 94/95 since the frame and suspension is similar, if not identical.

Here's some photos of it.

RamblingswithRyan

TDI
Future Ranger TDI
Wow, it has been way too long since I updated this. The truck is driving great except for the terrible axle gearing. Got new axles ready to go in any time now along with some updates to the engine swap!

ShtevieWonders

TDI
2002 ALH
Hey just wondering exactly how you ran the coolant lines at the back of the head? I'm also doing a TDI swap and was wondering how you routed the heater core and the oil cooler without it being in the way of the transmission? I'm guessing the upper rad hose runs to the back where the flange comes out of the head. I have the plastic auto piece at the back of the head and it drops too far down to use. Thanks

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I started TDC but sold last year. The guys at NWF who bought it do amazing work with lots of new parts coming this year.
I'm just an old retired guy now. :)

RamblingswithRyan

TDI
Future Ranger TDI
Hey just wondering exactly how you ran the coolant lines at the back of the head? I'm also doing a TDI swap and was wondering how you routed the heater core and the oil cooler without it being in the way of the transmission? I'm guessing the upper rad hose runs to the back where the flange comes out of the head. I have the plastic auto piece at the back of the head and it drops too far down to use. Thanks
I ended up using the type of flange that TD Conversions sells. You will definitely need that. I have the part numbers for the radiator hoses I used for the upper rad hose. The small 3/4” outlet of the plastic coolant flange I ran a small section of heater hose, installed a T-fitting in the end of it and one hose ran to the heater core inlet and the other hose runs down to the oil cooler

the heater core outlet hose goes into the coolant hard pipe.

I may be missing something. I need to update the thread with more things I’m learning.

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
How you got tdi ecm to match up with ranger instrument cluster would be valuable information to me, can you post how you got temp,oil,tach to work. ALH/Ranger-2011

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
Nice write up/pics of your swap, also doing ALH/Ranger2011 & will be using a FF harness, trying to research how to marry into Ranger instrument cluster to have temp & oil pressure, tach & speedo I can find write ups on.
Couple of posts go into CANBuss decifering which are over my head being a nuts & bolt guy, any help or redirection would be appreciated.
Summary: 2001 ALH swapped into 2011 Ranger std 4wd

RamblingswithRyan

TDI
Future Ranger TDI
jmcrow1954,
The Ranger instrument cluster marrying was pretty straightforward. Fast Forward Automotive's wiring harness made it pretty easy. The water temp and oil temp is a matter of connecting one wire for each sensor. The tachometer just needs a signal converter (provided by Fast Forward Auto also). I haven't installed a converter on mine since my dog found the converter and chewed on it, unfortunately. As far as the speedometer, my particular year Ranger had a cable driven one. Not electronic at all. I would recommend talking to Fast Forward Automotive. They have quite a lot of info on Rangers specifically since the owner of the company built his own TDI swapped Ranger.

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
Been in contact with FF & they don’t offer that option since OB2(CANbuss) came in effect around 99, Ford uses a IPC module(also CANbuss), just trying to crack this egg & use OEM cluster, they are able to supply info for tach & speedo to work thou

Alberta 7.3

TDI
CBEA Ranger under construction
Nice write up/pics of your swap, also doing ALH/Ranger2011 & will be using a FF harness, trying to research how to marry into Ranger instrument cluster to have temp & oil pressure, tach & speedo I can find write ups on.
Couple of posts go into CANBuss decifering which are over my head being a nuts & bolt guy, any help or redirection would be appreciated.
Summary: 2001 ALH swapped into 2011 Ranger std 4wd
I'm in a similar boat, dropping a CBEA into a 08Ranger that had the 3.0. Essentially you need to keep the Ford ECU in the system to drive the cluster via CAN bus and retain mileage, etc, but can gut all the wiring for fuel injection, ignition, etc. My harness is stripped down to power inputs, CAN, ECT sensor, VSS, and the crankshaft position sensor. Oil pressure is a simple on/off switch, I haven't figured if it's normally open or closed yet, but it operates outside of the CAN bus, and you can always adapt the Ford sensor to the VW oil sender port. For the ECT/temp gauge, I'm installing a tee fitting in the coolant hose between the block and oil cooler with hose barbs and thread the sensor into it. Retaining the VSS will allow the speedometer/odometer to work. As far as tach, I plan to make a toothed wheel and spacer to mount to the front of the TDI crank with the appropriate number of teeth to mimic the original damper toothed wheel, and bracket to mount the sensor, it will require removal for serpentine belt replacement, but a small inconvenience to have factory functionality. I'm still trying to figure out something to operate the cruise control and retain the stock steering wheel buttons. Some of the LEDs in the cluster for warning lights such as CEL and fuel cap will need to be desoldered or covered, and hopefully a FF adapter can provide the VW CEL and glow plug indicator, which will require separate wiring to the cluster.

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
I'm in a similar boat, dropping a CBEA into a 08Ranger that had the 3.0. Essentially you need to keep the Ford ECU in the system to drive the cluster via CAN bus and retain mileage, etc, but can gut all the wiring for fuel injection, ignition, etc. My harness is stripped down to power inputs, CAN, ECT sensor, VSS, and the crankshaft position sensor. Oil pressure is a simple on/off switch, I haven't figured if it's normally open or closed yet, but it operates outside of the CAN bus, and you can always adapt the Ford sensor to the VW oil sender port. For the ECT/temp gauge, I'm installing a tee fitting in the coolant hose between the block and oil cooler with hose barbs and thread the sensor into it. Retaining the VSS will allow the speedometer/odometer to work. As far as tach, I plan to make a toothed wheel and spacer to mount to the front of the TDI crank with the appropriate number of teeth to mimic the original damper toothed wheel, and bracket to mount the sensor, it will require removal for serpentine belt replacement, but a small inconvenience to have factory functionality. I'm still trying to figure out something to operate the cruise control and retain the stock steering wheel buttons. Some of the LEDs in the cluster for warning lights such as CEL and fuel cap will need to be desoldered or covered, and hopefully a FF adapter can provide the VW CEL and glow plug indicator, which will require separate wiring to the cluster.
THXs for the info, I’ve read in one of these threads that tach can be picked up from #3 injector, lots or rain in ON