Recent content by ZiggyTheHamster

1. ZiggyTheHamster

Crazy dealership experience - can I get your guys' opinion?

This sounds like a nuclear option to me. I mean, if I get screwed by each successive step up the ladder, sure... but I'm still going to have to pay for a repair out of pocket and seek reimbursement in that case, and that sucks. I thought it had been fixed, so I "motored on" as is typical with...
  2. ZiggyTheHamster

Except that as of right now, it's totally fine. So this would really just be an inspection type situation where the result would be that the dealer I take it to doesn't get paid. The people who own the dealership aren't all that savvy with social media. They own like 10 different car brands...
  3. ZiggyTheHamster

Sat tuners won't register and activate.

I've never experienced this, but it sounds to me like a software issue. If the preview channel works until you get the subscription update, it's probably not reception. I don't know how to test your signal level on a Premium 6, but the RCD-510 has a test mode for Sirius that tells you what your...
  4. ZiggyTheHamster

Radio has terrible reception

This is the "Premium 6" stereo right? My car came with the Premium 6 and the dealer installed an aux in and the iPod satellite adapter (1K0 051 510 A). The aux in cable has a pretty large ground wire - much larger than the aux in harness has in the quadlock connector. Thus, they ended up having...
  5. ZiggyTheHamster

Need help with Fault Code 02511 ?

What's your VCDS scan log? My instinct would be to enter the module that is reporting that fault and see if there is a measuring block that would tell you if the seat is occupied or not. If there is, and it toggles, you know that it's actually fine. It might just be that you have to clear the...
  6. ZiggyTheHamster

Seat Belt Chime...

I had this problem a few months ago. The switch that tells the computer there is a seat belt inserted is a normally closed switch. Therefore, when you insert a belt, the switch goes to open. If the switch gets faulty, it'll toggle between open and closed and make the light and dinger come on...
  7. ZiggyTheHamster

I'm not sure where I should have posted this, so a mod is welcome to move this around if they want! :) I've got a 2009 Jetta TDI. In May 2015, someone broke into our house and stole my wife's purse. Both sets of keys happened to be in the purse, but the valet key was in a fire box, so we could...
  8. ZiggyTheHamster

How To: LP-EGR Filter Change CR MK5/MK6

Thanks for making this howto - it seems a lot easier to do with pictures :). I also just started getting the P0401 code on my 2009 Jetta. I just wiped the tailpipe, and there's very little soot. What's weird is the MIL goes off and on all on its own, about every 100 miles. I was only just now...
  9. ZiggyTheHamster

Hpfp ser# tag

No idea. It seems to only be on Euro models, though. BTW, I've got nois, path23dv, and your entries added to the spreadsheet. Sorry for not doing it in forever! :)
  10. ZiggyTheHamster

2009 HPFP Failure - Contained with 2Micron Kits

I have a HPFP from the original set of pump revisions without a green dot (which according to my spreadsheet means I've got one that is similar to dwiesel's failed ones). I have 156k miles, and have done nothing special. I don't prime with VCDS (I do add fuel to the filter housing), and I use...
  11. ZiggyTheHamster

Car radio big screen.

Check eBay or LKQ. Be careful not to get the RCD-510 from Europe or China. If you're lucky, someone stripping down the car doesn't tag it properly and it shows up as a normal low-end stereo instead of the upgraded variant :).
  12. ZiggyTheHamster

Radio

I have a 2009 Mk5 and it came with a Premium 7. I replaced it with an RCD-510 (with a phone button, model ending in AE I believe) that was pulled from a 2014 Passat. All I had to do was run a cable from the RCD-510 to the Sirius antenna in the trunk (I bought it from a Chinese vendor on eBay...
  13. ZiggyTheHamster

2009 Electrical Gremlins

I got a call about this recall and they ended up replacing my entire fuse panel because once they got the fuse out, it did in fact melt the hell out of the panel. I'm at 156k miles and it's a 2009. No way it's under warranty still, but still free.
  14. ZiggyTheHamster

ISO MKV Front bumper and grilles, Hood

Front bumper parts are cross-compatible between GLI/GTI/Jetta/Golf Mk5s (my Jetta has a GLI/GTI bumper and grille). Rear bumpers may or may not be. I think that given that the R32 is a Golf, that it should fit, but I'm unsure.
  15. ZiggyTheHamster

WTB: RCD-510 / Premium 8 with phone button, SF Bay Area

Anyone remove their RCD-510 and want to be rid of it? I don't particularly want a RNS-510 (I played with one in a loaner, I was not impressed with the navigation, and I already have an expensive Garmin), but my Premium 6 sucks. I had a Kenwood unit, which sucked slightly less, but finally died...