Recent content by y2khardtop

1. Y

Audi President: Chevy Volt Is a “Car for Idiots”

I don't know, my TDI Jetta (40k miles) gets a whopping 32mpg....... I think I'm the one that got hoodwinked.
  2. Y

DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

so are any of you renting out your "refill kit"? Seems like a lot to invest in something I'll only need every 3.5 years..... I'll likely only change the fluid once during the time I own the car, so I'll likely just fill (slowly) through the filter housing. If anybody is loaning/renting...
  3. Y

So the threaded "snorkel" is not actually part of the drain plug, but a second insert............. got it.
  4. Y

so why does all of the fluid run out when you take the drain-plug out, yet only the "overflow" runs out when you are putting it back in?? Is it due to the filter being installed and full (creating a vacuum), or am I missing a step??
  5. Y

6-disc CD changer died

so dealer tells me VW may balk because I have home-burned cd's in the stereo.........dows anybody at VW have a suggestion of where we should be buying factory-pressed mp3 cd's? Seems like they can't see for forest for the trees!
  6. Y

6-disc CD changer died

dealer has a new radio for me, hope to get it in today. Can't even listen to radio withou error coming up every 30 seconds. thanks for lively banter on repair methods
  7. Y

Diesel "smell" and lower mpg with new fuel filter

I got the right fuel filter, so that's not it. The lift pump seems fine, as it primed itself fine after changing the filter. Winter fuel could be an issue, but I don't know how to tell. I'll visually check the EGR. It defintely does smell stronger than before, AND it emits considerably...
  8. Y

6-disc CD changer died

so my 06 jetta tdi, 30kmiles, just gave me a "CDC ERROR" and the Cd player seems to be jammed. I can hear the guts making noise, and it sounds like the disk-changing mechanism is either broken, or jammed. I can't play, eject, or add discs. Just gives the error, and keeps trying.....sometimes...
  9. Y

heel-toe and rev match driving in 09 tdi 6mt

I've raced sportscars for 20 years (and continue to instruct HPDE's), and somebody complains about every pedal arrangement, while sombody else always loves it. Bottom line, master your technique and learn to adapt to any vehicle. You'll be better in all of them. I know some vehicles, like...
  10. Y

and like I said, the diesel odor from the exhaust is more pronounced as well....
  11. Y

05 Auto TDI, 30k miles, AC is usually on, and in NC. Rural city driving, so stopping every few miles, more some of the time, but not bumper to bumper Used to get 38mpg regularly, now I get 32-33regularly under similar conditions.
  12. Y

Latest Fuel economy

my 05' Auto has only hit 40mpg a couple of times, and now has dropped to getting only around 33mpg. I still love the car, but with Diesel fuel prices, it's not much of a bargain. btw, mostly non-highway driving, but I drive very conservatively
  13. Y

I installed a new fuel filter at 30,000miles, and it seems like the exhaust has more odor than before, and my fuel economy has dropped 5-6mpg. There are no leaks, the car is running fine, and the filter went in with no problems. I am doing more city driving than in the past, but I've only...
  14. Y

DIY Speedo Calibration

guys, sorry my photos have vanished. I will try and track them down, or take my wife's car apart again. VW is not my primary car, so I forgot about this thread. Will try and repost them.
  15. Y

WooHoo-finally made the 600mile club

Our 06' Jetta TDI Auto was in the 38-39mpg range for the first few months, then we didn't check it for a while. Finally, with no change in driving style, we hit 42mpg and right at 600miles on a tank. I read that mpg would go up with the first 10000miles, but didn't believe it. Guess I was wrong.