Recent content by xcmer

1. xcmer

Upgraded trunk lighting

Did this on mine with an amazon LED strip. Best mod I've ever done. Whatever adhesive it shipped with is still holding after 6 years.
  2. xcmer

New to TDIs and need insight

I don't have space to work on cars and it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the basic stuff but, like you already mentioned, nozzles are a popular recommendation. Not exactly power or reliability but ventectomy is easy, reversible extra fuel capacity, and dieselgeek short shifter is a...
  3. xcmer

Trunk won't open

Good luck, it's a pretty easy swap. In the meantime, you can try pushing down quite hard on top of the trunk over the emblem and turning the key. Most often it's the plastic pivot piece that the actuator pushes against that's broken (https://jettatrunk.com/ has detailed video). The one in OP's...
  4. xcmer

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

Recommending Independent Volkswagen & Audi 5205 E 22nd St, Tucson, AZ 85711 Phone: 520.747.0044 They took my business after Stuttgart Autohaus, which I found on the list, told me they no longer service cars older than 2005. Chris talked to me about the work they did and the reasoning behind...
  5. xcmer

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Started to replace my vac hoses, found my vacuum check valve was fully blocked.
  6. xcmer

When Should I Replace Hoses?

My vacuum hoses were the first to go. Just look at the ends or give them a gentle squeeze to see if they've hardened. I had a shop do my fuel lines around 230k (not the first replacement) but if you wanted to do it yourself you could probably do it at the same time as the fuel filter?
  7. xcmer

Low power on the high end?

Didn't go into limp mode. I'm using a scangauge.
  8. xcmer

Low power on the high end?

Been feeling a little low on power and I thought it was just me, but yesterday I hit the highway and with the cruise set at 75 in 5th, dropped down to 70 on a pretty slight incline with an empty car... Dropped to 4th and even with the pedal all the way down it must've taken 5-9 seconds to get...
  9. xcmer

Cutting keys

+1 for AARodriguez. Rented the cable to program it from them as well. Although if your local Lowe's will cut and program..... That might be the fastest and cheapest route.
  10. xcmer

Need help identifying a broken connector

Just noticed some rodents chewed through the wires on this connector (where my thumb is in the photo) as far as I can tell, the speedo isn't working and there's a check engine light but it drives fine. Think it's safe to drive for a few days?
  11. xcmer

What did you do to your car today?

Made it tacky. (Cheap seat covers, license plate frame, wood beaded seat cover) better tacky than crummy, right?
  12. xcmer

Coolant level the same hot and cold?

many thanks any thanks! Just checked the probes and they look clean. I did notice some sand-like stuff in the bottom of the ball though. No idea what it could be, but I'll try replacing the ball soon.
  13. xcmer

Why is my Golf interior getting wet?

Had the same problem a while back: one of the hoses had detached from the drain plug fitting and was funnling all the water under the floor mat
  14. xcmer

Thanks. Is the high level a problem? I can't tell where the max line is supposed to be
  15. xcmer

Recently had my coolant filled. Car started throwing a coolant/heat light intermittently (key on, engine off for a few min, idling at lights, or just driving). Pulled over to check the level and it looked a little high. Checked it next morning when cold and.... The level is the same? Any thoughts?