wxman's latest activity

• W
    wxman reacted to nwdiver's post in the thread U.S. Comeback? with Like Like.
    It would be interesting to see what their costs are. With all the discussion of displacing Russian oil I haven't heard this mentioned...
  • W
    wxman replied to the thread U.S. Comeback?.
    The $3.50/gallon includes distribution costs and fuel taxes. Does that $0.02/kWh include distribution and taxes? If it does, why do...
  • W
    Cost includes distribution and current state (average) and federal taxes on diesel fuel. Of course, any tax break for biomass-based...
  • W
    Aviation uses about 25B gallons/year of jet fuel. There's plenty more available for ground transportation (at least 35B gallons). The...
  • W
    While I agree that long-distance freight should be moved to rail, I still disagree on the biofuels issue. There's not only a very...
  • W
    I listened to an interesting Freakonomics podcast the other day about the history of EVs. One thing the interviewee pointed out was that...
  • W
    There are times (particularly in summer months) when wind flow is weak for many days (persistent ridge directly over region). Weather...
  • W
    You're assuming that sufficient wind energy is always available at all times. I know from experience as an operational meteorologist...
  • W
    That may be the case in SPP region, but not all EV are being charged in SPP. Even gas cars are "better" in some regions of the country...
  • W
    Yes, it's full life cycle. 183,363 miles defines the lifecycle (15 years useful life assumed). I did a comparison between the Rivian...
  • W
    Coal generation increased to about 22% in 2021, after <20% in 2020. https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html
  • W
    I don't disagree, just making the point that coal EGUs are not very efficient. It also depends on the EV range, which effects battery...
  • W
    According to the GREET model, the well-to-tank (mine-to-plug) efficiency of a coal-fired EGU is 32.1%, while the efficiency of...
  • W
    Not necessarily... https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/12/11/1482 Agree. Even from an environmental perspective they don't at this...
  • W
    Just to be clear, life-cycle assessment (LCA) models include all upstream activity including well drilling, pipeline construction...