Recent content by Woodrobin

1. W

2001 Custom Jetta - Yggdrasil, the Green Machine

Happy Milestone! The Green Machine passed a milestone (which, now that I type it, sounds kind of painful :) ) yesterday. Please ignore the check engine light -- it's Glow Plug Circuit A, and I've yet to track down where the fault is. Thanks to the photography skills of my girlfriend (and her...
  2. W

ALH TDI: Thunk, zero boost, whistling sound from engine. Help!

I had forgotten that. I'll get that hooked back on ASAP. Any suggestions for encouraging that sucker to stay on there in future?
  3. W

I have a front-mounted intercooler, but I assume the rest applies. It'd just be where the lower IC pipe is routed that would be different, correct?
  4. W

So, driving down the highway, accelerating coming off the onramp. I hear a thunk/clank noise. Immediately after, boost goes to zero on the boost gauge. There is now a whistling sound coming from the engine. The whistle increases the more I get on the throttle. Pulled off the highway, looked...
  5. W

2001 Jetta TDI: Oil light on, STOP CAR on MFA, car died on highway. HELP!

Am I sure the issue wasn't caused by turbo damage? Yes. I was accelerating from 40 to 55 mph heading out of town. The car was boosting just fine right up until it flashed STOP CAR and the engine shut off. No smoke, no limp mode, no boost lag. When they pulled the ECU, water poured out of...
  6. W

On a happier note, here is the other work that CoolairVW did while I had the car at his shop: 1. Rerouted the oil return from catch can to intake. 2. Replace a torn CV boot (driver's side front). 3. Fixed a break in my exhaust. Smoky, loud and with a break in the exhaust pipe is not a good...
  7. W

I'm not sure what they did in the process of mucking around with pumping out all the biodiesel, using whatever "engine cleaner" the tech didn't seem to know the name of, then putting in diesel. Considering the fact that they did all that before checking the ECU like I asked, it could have been...
  8. W

I honestly do not know what they did. I know what they told me they did, but they lied more than a little, so here it is for what it's worth: 1. Car dies with "STOP CAR" flashing on MFA display about 1 mile outside Lawrence during a heavy rain. No previous smoke, loss of power or other...
  9. W

Y'know what? **** Crown Volkswagen in Lawrence, KS. That's what. That's the toof, the whole toof and nothing but the toof. Meanwhile, all praise to CoolairVW for untoofing what others have toofed. By way of explanation, here's what happens to your turbo if some dingaling runs Diesel Purge...
  10. W

Well, I thought I had made out nicely, and gotten lucky. Not so. The green machine smoked like a chimney from the second I picked it up from the stealership. I'm talking about smoking so bad that it would fill the cabin with exhaust fumes if I stopped at a red light with the fan running. I...
  11. W

What did you do to your car today?

Replaced the N75 controller to get rid of a persistent, intermittent overboost error code. Also replaced some of the connected lengths of hose (all the lengths that connected to the N75). So far, so good. Replaced the wiper blades with a set of Bosch Icons too, while I was out there. Thanks...
  12. W

Took the green machine out to CoolairVW to get a Malone Stage 5 tune (with Dynamic Idle and Dynamic EGR) put on to replace the stock tune on the replacement ECU. The ride out was extremely smoky. In fact, the attendant at the turnpike booth two lanes over from mine shouted "Does he know his...
  13. W

Back from Lawrence. Jetta runs very rich. That is to be expected, I assume, since it's running HFLO-X 'Warp 6' nozzles with a stock tune. Left clouds of whitish smoke behind me, but other than that the car runs fine. Edit 12/11: Smoke issue wasn't from the nozzles, but rather the turbo the...
  14. W

I'm headed to Lawrence to pick up the car. According to the stealership, the problem was a shorted-out ECU. Once I pointed out to them the method to copy the VIN from the instrument cluster they were able to adapt the ECU I had in my trunk and replaced the damaged ECU with it. This is, of...
  15. W

I will call him in the morning, ASAP. I have a call in to the dealer, asking them to tell me if the car is drivable, and telling them not to do anything else to the car until I talk to them. Keeping my fingers crossed.