Recent content by WNY PAT

1. W

2015 Passat Question DSG vs Manual

Ugh. Hate the emissions road block. So frustrating. And here in NY, they emission test as part of the annual inspection so no way around that for me. Thx for the replies. Now I have some thinking to do.
  2. W

2015 Passat Question DSG vs Manual

Hey Gang, Been gone awhile. Lol. Had a 2000 Jetta TDI back in the day and then a 2009 Jetta TDI after that. Well, family obligations… then ya da ya da ya da…. and here I am back looking at Passat TDIs as post-COVID I’ll be driving a whole lot again for a few years. I’ll be averaging about 40K...
  3. W

High Pitch Sound

Welcome to tdiclub Alpine. The folks here will take good care of you. If you don’t get a response here, might want to try to revive one of the old threads. The VW specific model sub-forums probably get more traffic and your issue probably isn’t Audi specific anyway.
  4. W

TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

I agree that the failure rate is unacceptable. OTOH, every manufacturer has some growing pains and issues in new technology. How the company handles said issues is what's important. If anyone followed along with the Chrysler head issue in the 3.6 PS motor you'll see how an automotive company...
  5. W

TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

<<<<<< Chicken Little I'm personally holding off until a TSB is issued extending the warranty out or there is a redesign and the failures become more rare. OTOH, I live in a cold weather climate and anecdotally at least, there seem to be more failures in cold weather states.
  6. W

VW Drive Easy offered by Burlington VW

Yes. Thanks. I wish there was an easier solution for the Passat.
  7. W

VW Drive Easy offered by Burlington VW

Hey Chris. Do you know about coverage for the failure prone turbo in the Passats? I know one guy is going through this now and they are making him sign off each step of the way to determine if the repair will be covered. Is this standard procedure with these warranties? It seems like if a...
  8. W

Blown turbo and warranty issues

I was doing a bit more research last night and it might depend on what state you live in but it might be the 2/24 and 8/80 as Salsaman is saying. I was also talking to a mechanic who said some of the warranty issues might be related to whether the state in question does an emissions check as a...
  9. W

salsaman - go to the EPA site and search for turbo and emissions warranty and see what you think. My read of that was it applied to all 2009 and newer vehicles and the PZEV, etc didn't matter.
  10. W

Agreed and shared experience with GM in the past. Good will repairs split 50/50 even well out of warranty are not uncommon. I still think the EPA is the OP's best route if the turbo is indeed considered a part of the emission system tho. I don't have much faith that VW will want to step up...
  11. W

Best case scenario, VW finds it is required to replace every blown turbo for 15 years / 150K miles. A more robust design would most certainly follow that news IMO.
  12. W

I should clarify that my cut and paste from the EPA website was not limited to pzev. It applies to all 2009 and newer vehicles. It'll be interesting to see this play out. I hope the OP involves the EPA and sets a precedent for others to benefit from.
  13. W

Cut and paste from EPA website. Just search turbo and emissions warranty. Emission Related Parts These are examples of other parts of your vehicle which have a primary purpose other than emissions control but which nevertheless have significant effects on your vehicle’s emissions. If any of...
  14. W

All Passats have the same emission systems. The old ALH vehicles used to be not eligible to register in NY/California/NJ etc. but the new Passat is 50 state compliant as far as I know. That means your car ought to be covered IMO. I'm salivating at how quickly VW will redesign this turbo if...
  15. W

So if that's the case, maybe he should have his car towed to NY or NJ. I'd love to see something in writing about this applying in NY. Honestly, the only thing holding me back from Passat TDI ownership is the turbo issue. And I simply will never spend money to buy an extended warranty on a...