Recent content by widsl

1. W

how many miles are people up to on their odo's now

98 TDI miles 98 Jetta 172,000 mi. Purchased new. Original turbo, clutch, starter, alternator, A/C, exhaust system. No unexpected repairs; just timely maintenance. Still getting 44 to 52 mpg on a regular basis. widsl
  2. W

Stanadyne Lubricity? Placebo or miracle?

My '98 A3 currently has 171,000 miles; I began using Stanadyne and Mobil Delvac 1 on day one. I have never had a starting problem while experiencing temps down to minus 25 F. The old girl runs as well today as it did at maximum break-in. widsl
  3. W

Certification Procedure for Selective Catalyst Reduction

EPA SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) Technologies EPA posted SCR guidelines on March 29. See below link. From the perspective of diesel sedans, they seem to be saying the following: 1. Must be sustainable for 100,000 miles before refill 2. Must be tamper proof 3. Must have an...
  4. W

Reputable diesel filling stations

Flying J website I was very impressed with the Flying J website. For anyone driving locally or cross country this site gives price, type of diesel sold, even GPS numbers for locating stations. Very easy to use. See the link below. On the left, click "Fuel Pricing" then "Diesel Fuel Prices."...
  5. W

2003 jetta tdi wagon +extreme cold--block heater as a solution?

Couldn't agree more with Meganuke. Correct full synthetic oil is the key. My '98 has been cranked over at more than -20 many times. Except for waiting for the glow plug light to go off, there is not much difference from summer starting--just a little more diesel clatter. Currently at 160,000...
  6. W

ULSD problems with gelling

Most of the gelling incidents I hear about in central Wisconsin about this time are caused by stations not having enough volume to move their summer fuel to winter blend; and rare is the station that offers a choice between diesel #1 or diesel #2. IMHO, it doesn't have anything to do with ULSD...
  7. W

Post Your Ulsd Sightings Here!!

ULSD now posted at Mount View Mobil US51/I39 exit 190. Local distributor's fuel tech response to my e-mail indicates most, if not all, Mobil and BP stations now posting ULSD in the Wausau area. Price still sitting at 2.699. One other minor note: Don't expect to find "green diesel" labels. EPA...
  8. W

Post Your Ulsd Sightings Here!!

The price at Wausau Citgo was $2.699. Originally Posted by widsl Found ULSD today at Wausau Citgo, US51/I39 Exit 190, Cty NN. Will be filling up there next time. Still LSD labels at Mobil on opposite corner. widsl
  9. W

ULSD in Wisconsin-question

Found ULSD today at Wausau Citgo, US51/I39 Exit 190, Cty NN. Will be filling up there next time. Still LSD labels at Mobil on opposite corner. widsl
  10. W

ulsd 15ppm

tdi jerry Experienced the same disappointment here in Wausau, WI. Stopped at a Mobil station on I39 and they still had the old LSD label. People at the counter didn't have a clue when I asked about ULSD. E-mailed the local fuel distributor a couple of days ago asking about ULSD availability...
  11. W

Fuel Oil/Heating Oil

rushman, Just received my contract for heating oil. It is clearly described as "ultra low sulfur." The ethics is up to you, but sulfur should not be an issue. widsl
  12. W

Just a little help please

Done! Changed 03-MAF code to stock-32768. I know some would have left it at 33768. I went 85,000 before needing intake cleaning the first time. Timing: Found p. 71. Duh! Funny how you can read something and not get it the first time. Block 2 reading: 33-35, about 4 points below the...
  13. W

Made progress today in "Adaptation" 01 - Shows IQ at 2.8 mg/str 32768, no change 02 - Didn't take notes, 32768, no change 03 - MAF 350.0 mg/str 409-432 mg/str 33768, change it to 32768? 04 - Ignition Timing .4 BTDC .2 - .7 BTDC, 32800, changed to 32768 05 - IQ 20.4 mg/str .2 - .7 BTDC, 32768...
  14. W

Thank you all. So it seems there are at least two things I need to do. As andreigbs points out, I need to first see if oem values for iq have been changed. I know I need to attend a GTG so somebody like you all could run me through this VAG-COM procedure but I’d rather not wait. OK, the TDI is...
  15. W

hi andreigbs, Thanks for responding. I'm also using the 512.4 edition of vag-com. Wouldn't the "Timing Checker Plug In" in Appendix D, p. 70 give a correct mechanical timing reading? I'm new to vag-com and reluctant to go into "Basic Settings" when it warns that simply scrolling through the...