Recent content by VChristian

1. V

After deer strike, need to adjust driver door

Is there a good source of how to adjust VW doors, and in particular Mk4/A4 doors? I have a driver door hanging low after a deer strike. Not being experience at bodywork, I am at a loss. Any howto pointers are welcome.
  2. V

TDI starter not turning (ideas needed)

The crank speed was OK when it worked. I think the coil in the solenoid got compromised, and with intermittently less current flow, it simply wasn't closing the contacts within the solenoid. It did not click when it was not engaging. The relay replacement is probably not needed, but they are...
  3. V

OK, fixed, and starting reliably. Here's a summary of what I did and what I found: -since wiggling the ignition switch got it to start, I assumed there was a switch problem. There was not, but now I have a new switch. $50, probably not well spent. -started following the circuit. Be careful...
  4. V

Yes, I just found out that there is a clutch switch, and a clutch position sensor. The latter feeds the ECU (which I was looking at) and the former is used for the starter. After I cool off and do some work inside, I will head out, and get my hands on the clutch switch and check it's operation.
  5. V

Apparently the Bently wiring diagrams differ from third party published wiring diagrams. Here's my understanding thus far: -the starter switch has been replaced, and the old 300kmile+ one appears to be OK, but some of the contacts have less spring than I would expect. -the connector to the...
  6. V

The cables off the battery are low resistance. There are no problems with start current, when the problem was intermittent. The top fuse box on the battery buzzes out good. I swapped a 109 relay in this morning, and it did not change anything. I believe the 109 relay is a load relay and is...
  7. V

When the problem was intermittent, the clutch switch was the first thing I looked at, and VDCS reported it consistent with my operating the pedal. When turning the key to start, there is a very faint click, and it is not at the starter. I think it is in the accessory area, like for killing...
  8. V

No, it will not attempt to crank at all. When intermittent, wiggling the switch got it to fire. I checked out the starter earlier before I found that the ignition switch wiggle worked. Of course, now, no wiggle works. But I can bump start the car, and all the electrical is normal.
  9. V

Dead Throttle problem (accelerator pedal? Cam sensor?)

For what it is worth, one car, an 02 TDI had a similar problem, and while debugging it, I realized that there are two paths to get throttle commands. If you can get it over 30 mph, you can use the cruise control to get it home. Doesn't solve your problem, but I thought I would share that.
  10. V

After not driving one of the 2002 TDIs, I started it up, and found that the ignition switch was intermittent, or so I thought. Today the intermittent switch became a hard failure. So I did what most people would do...replaced the switch. After nearly 20 years and over 300k miles, I figured...
  11. V

History Of Diesel In The USA

Yes, the 79 with a 5 speed was a great car back then. However, with a 5 speed, it is not really capable of highway use today where 80+ is common. Aside from screaming at even 70 to 75, the governor topped out at 83 mph in 5th gear. The 15 Jetta will run at those speeds comfortably, with more...
  12. V

History Of Diesel In The USA

In the diesel Rabbit category, I had a 84, 79, 78, 77 and yes a 76. I know they didn't make them in 76, but they did. At least that is how it was titled and registered. The 77 was an improvement, and the fuel filtering was better on the 79. The biggest problem back then was the fuel...
  13. V

Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

Not the voice coil, it's the suspension. Just like on car at -20. In the 70's when doing pro audio, we fed 5 Hz at 10% power until things got warmer. Could take hours after a cold soak in a truck. So watch out cranking things up, because one could heat damage the voice coil, while the...
  14. V

200,000 mile club... roll call!

That's allot of traveling...
  15. V

Turbo "dead" <60 miles after 120K service

I realize this is an old thread, but recently a tech told me a similar story. Seems a tech who was a new hire ended up starting a car after changing the filter, but not adding the oil. The engine survived, but the turbo went within a few hundred miles. The matter was discovered when the...