Recent content by turtle

1. T

Gear Shift Popping Out of Gear

Here's the final update - I broke down and went to the dealership... never a great experience but here's their "fix." Remove and replace shift rod (VW #02J-301-233-F)and adjust gearshift linkage. She now shifts smooth as silk and stays in gear. Most interestingly, the service and repair was "no...
  2. T

Here's the update - I replaced the the tranny fluid with Mobil 1 75W-90 (it was easy to find)and she is still popping out of gear. A piece of 3/16 inch brake line can be cut and shaped with a bending tool into a very serviceable gear shift lever tool but when I try to "lock" the right-angle...
  3. T

I'm all for tackling the easy solutions first. Starting with the transmission oil sounds good but it looks like one can only add fluid, not drain it from the transmission. Is there a drain plug? Or only a fill plug. Otherwise, can you suction the oil out, or do I just go to Jiffy Lube?
  4. T

Thanks Birdman. Dieselgeek has potential but I was hoping to make this a Sunday afternoon project. I'm going to pry off the shift lever boot and go the "bent nail" approach. If anyone has a pic, great, otherwise I'll let you know how it turns out. [ February 01, 2003, 18:30: Message edited...
  5. T

My TDI just started popping out of gear - It won't stay in 1st, even with the clutch in. While driving - it will pop out of 3rd and 5th. It's a drag driving freeway speeds and having to hold it in 5th, and dangerous. I think I need to do the 'Gear Selector Mechanism' adjustment in Bentley 34-8...
  6. T

attendie sign here

Please sign me in as turtle ------------------