Recent content by turbobrick240

1. turbobrick240

Diesel Generator for the end of the world

The two stage air to air heat pumps are really good these days. I'm thinking about getting a little 12,000 btu/hr(heating, 9000 cooling) Fujitsu heat pump. It has a 33 SEER rating and is good down to -15°F. 4-5 times more efficient than electric resistance heating and probably 3-4 times more...
  2. turbobrick240

I've cut my power consumption pretty dramatically the past couple of years. From about 15 kWh per day in 2019 to about 6 kWh per day in '20 and '21. Throwing out the electric space heater was a big chunk of it.
  3. turbobrick240

A "What's it Worth" Thread

There are plenty of investments that will appreciate a heck of a lot faster than your used car value. If it will make the wife happy, sell it soon and think about throwing some of the proceeds into the stock market.
  4. turbobrick240

That must have been a typo from tikal. He probably meant 8000 kWh/year. As far as the NREL link goes, they must use solar insolation(sunlight intensity) maps to make their estimates- hence the address request. Just use a neighbors/nearby address if it's a concern.
  5. turbobrick240

The end of an era

Sounds like my 2001 F250. Thing was a rust bucket four years ago when I cut out what I could and glassed the voids. Still a rust bucket, and still runs strong. Might not be pretty, but it's just a farm vehicle now.
  6. turbobrick240

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

There's not much daylight between the ID3 and the Cupra Born, but I prefer the front end design of the Cupra.
  7. turbobrick240

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

Yeah, that's a sweet conversion. Pretty cool that they were able to use 47 kWh of battery and still maintain the original curb weight.
  8. turbobrick240

That's just advice for anyone jerry rigging a generator hookup without the proper transfer switch connection. Ideally, it's worthwhile to shell out a few bucks for the transfer switch. These units are about as simple to install as it gets:
  9. turbobrick240

If you're not using a transfer switch that transfers both the hot and neutral wires, you should be using a floating neutral generator. In other words, the frame of the generator should be grounded, but the genny neutral shouldn't be bonded to ground at the frame. The neutral should only be...
  10. turbobrick240

I guess it depends on just how apocalyptic this apocalypse is going to be. Let's hope it's just a mild apocalypse. :D
  11. turbobrick240

Syncing up to and back feeding to the grid wouldn't be much of a concern if there is no grid. I'd have to assume the grid would go down in this hypothetical apocalypse.
  12. turbobrick240

A "What's it Worth" Thread

I'd take the $13-14k and run. The used car market isn't going to stay this hot for all that much longer, imo.
  13. turbobrick240

Yeah, solar with battery storage is really where it's at. You can always use a cheap box store genny to charge up your battery storage for those rare times the sunlight isn't adequate.
  14. turbobrick240

Low miles but 10yr timing belt opinion on hard parts

I wouldn't worry much about "belt memory" whatever that is supposed to be. The materials science that goes into the top quality modern timing belts(gates, contitech) is quite impressive. Mine looked brand new at 125k miles. They don't turn to dust after a decade.
  15. turbobrick240

Low miles but 10yr timing belt opinion on hard parts

His car may have low miles, but I didn't see anything indicating that it sat for years and years. There are only two instances I'm aware of where members here have had timing belt failures on the common rails. One occured when the accessory belt broke loose and took out the timing belt, and...