Recent content by Trepex

1. Trepex

RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

I'm trying to update a RevC/HW06 RNS-510, and I'd like to confirm which firmwares are valid. I currently have SW1142. It seems that I can upgrade to SW3810 in order to create the proper POI partition, then my unit will "become a SW 'D' model". Does this mean that I can then go as high as...
  2. Trepex

replacing windshield tomorrow

More importantly it automatically closes your windows and sunroof if it starts to rain. If I'd had one, I wouldn't have flooded my car last summer when I left the sunroof wide open in a thunderstorm :(
  3. Trepex

rear license plate bracket

Agreed. Order customs shortly :D
  4. Trepex

Did this today with some #10-24 aluminum rivnuts that I got off eBay. Worked perfectly, I'm so happy! No more nylon screws :) I used stainless screws and sprayed a bit of lithium grease on the threads before screwing on the plate. Hopefully that helps with any corrosion or galling.
  5. Trepex

Compass in MFI

Let me know how it goes! I'm sure you an find photos by searching this forum as well as cavorted or golfmk6. I think it's called the "kompass" module.
  6. Trepex

Compass in MFI

Since your car did not come stock with the navi, it has a positional sensor installed. I suspect that the dealership deactivated this module when they installed the navi (no longer require the compass with it installed) but you actually have to unplug the compass or else you get excessive...
  7. Trepex

Compass in MFI

You didn't by any chance swap your stock radio for an RNS-510 did you?
  8. Trepex

Hmm I was pretty sure galvanic corrosion became an issue between the stainless and aluminum contact. Regarding stainless screws, I just remember my dad saying they were far more prone to thread galling.
  9. Trepex

Isn't it bad to mix metals for screws and threads? Like if you get aluminum rivnuts, what screws do you use? I've always thought stainless threads/bolts are a pain and that stainless was bad for threaded applications in general? I guess I could use nylon screws in aluminum rivnuts?
  10. Trepex

I guess where I'm drilling into the metal on the wagon, I should prime the metal so I don't get rush, huh?
  11. Trepex

TDI beats the GTI, look !

Yeah I love our TDI, but no. Yes it wins in fuel economy and it's a pretty fantastic ride, but my GTI is quicker, sportier, and has better handling. Blame it on me being an "amateur" driver if you want, but seeing as I drive the two regularly, I have a pretty good basis for comparison.
  12. Trepex

SportWagen on its Roof

So sorry. Really glad you're okay though and the idiot didn't get away with it.
  13. Trepex

I LOVE this solution. I assume I could use this on the GTI, where they just screw into the plastic bumper, or do you think the rivets might damage the plastic? Are rivnuts available at any brick&mortar stores or only online?
  14. Trepex

Is this a good jack choice?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback! Decided to try out the pricier Michelin jack and it seems like it'll be perfect for what I need. Checked Princess Auto but they had nothing on special and only two much more expensive 3.5 tons jacks. This 2-ton Michelin seems perfect :)
  15. Trepex

Is this a good jack choice?

Debating between these two jacks (2-ton and 3-ton) and wondering if I'll have a problem with the rails (ie. will the jack head fit without problems). The 2-ton kit is nice, as it comes with the chocks and stands, but it seems a little less popular...