Recent content by torquefoot

1. T

1.6td oscillating sound at idle and low rpm

Thanksyousir for getting back, some good info there. Yes, this is a GL model and has everything, AC and PS - I will check everything over. I did manage to put some slack into the belt about halfway through my trip...so about 1200miles driven with overtension. After getting home to check oil...
  2. T

https://youtube.com/shorts/IPegRULU940?feature=share Just checked timing belt tension...could scarcely rotate it 30degrees cold.
  3. T

So after a timing belt break ive got a new AMC head on it with fresh Giles injectors. Ran fine for last 2000kms of driving now im getting a strange oscillating sound while at idle and low rpm...this changes with engine rpm and either goes away at higher rpm or I can't hear it. Its like there's...
  4. T

1990 1.6Td died while driving

Update to this. I ended up shipping a new AMC head along with oil cooler and turbo drain - I could not find a clean head or even decent rebuildable core. Also sourced some turbo gaskets and hardware and sent him some water flanges and misc stuff - he is supplying everything else. Just curious on...
  5. T

Found a head locally today...for some reason there was 1990 1.6 NA Jetta in one of the yards. How bad are the cracks? Cylinder pics in order 1 thru 4.
  6. T

Anyone have links to turbo oil drain and supply kits? The supply i can probably have made up from braided but the drain is tougher. He had to cut both to get the turbo off.
  7. T

I would have to find a new cam and lifters though, correct? Im just worried that they'll pass 'inspection' and ill have issues. I just dont know the process of how folks assert these parts after timint belt failure. Ive spoken to the local machine shop over there and they seem confident but if...
  8. T

Anyone have experience w the AMC heads? Part no for 1V/ME/MF is 908133..its looking like the most likely option ATM.
  9. T

Spoke to the go-to option in town, they would prefer not to get the cam and lifters. Do most mechanics have the tools to inspect and assess condition? Question on head rebuilds in general - is it typical to re-use components that measure within spec? If so, how do you account for fatigue or...
  10. T

In terms of getting the head rebuilt - does the shop expect the head without cam and lifters? Would the mechanic assess these? Do they usually go bad when pistons make contact with valves?
  11. T

Thanks for the insight, think I'll steer clear. So I need a head. Partsplace seems like the only viable option ATM, they have stock, although folks on Samba have them into question as well since that business was sold ~2009 and they have started to outsource. Im going to call Giles tmrw since...
  12. T

Edited. Sorry I dont have much experience with him, just heard about his quality issues. Anything youd like to share?
  13. T

Here are the options for drop-in heads. Hans I know Mr. Hans has a rep for not exactly having the finest of things - would it be a OE head with off brand valves, lifters, precups, etc here? Bought from here before, they seem good, but dont know enough...
  14. T

Wtb: 1.6TD head (yep, the one on your shelf)

Snapped a t-belt on a 1990 jetta and hoping someone might have something you've been saving for a project...and coming to terms that it may not be realized...or you just have a 1.6td heads for paperweights and the world is going digital. TY
  15. T

The body's is surprisingly good shape. Passenger fender has some rust but its still solid. One spot around rear wheel well. Nothing around windshield, all the jack points and pinch welds are solid, i think i might want to keep it. Dash is cracked and tach doesn't work but im going to portugal...